What potions have I drunk of Siren tears,
曾喝過幾多誘人入險境的淚珠,
Distill'd from limbecks foul as hell within,
它們像是從地獄般的蒸鍋里蒸出——
Applying fears to hopes and hopes to fears,
使我把恐怖當救星,用希望醫治恐怖,
Still losing when I saw myself to win!
眼看勝利在望,卻總是敗績中途!
What wretched errors hath my heart committed,
我的心在自以為最最幸福的時光
Whilst it hath thought itself so blessed never!
卻往往鑄下不堪再提的錯誤!
How have mine eyes out of their spheres been fitted
我曾經這樣地病狂到頭腦昏昏,

In the distraction of this madding fever!
我的雙眼幾乎要奪眶而出!
O benefit of ill! now I find true
哦,這就是惡的利端,我終于知道,
That better is by evil still made better;
美好者可以因惡而更加美名昭著;
And ruin'd love, when it is built anew,
碎了的愛有朝一日破鏡重圓,
Grows fairer than at first, more strong, far greater.
還可以比從前更美更強烈更突出。
So I return rebuked to my content
所以我雖受譴責反而志得意滿,
And gain by ill thrice more than I have spent.
由于惡我反倒可以三倍地因禍得福。