Those lines that I before have writ do lie,
曾寫過說我愛你到極點的詩行,
Even those that said I could not love you dearer:
我今兒卻要宣布這些全都是謊。
Yet then my judgment knew no reason why
可我那時的確說不出個道理,
My most full flame should afterwards burn clearer.
為什么日后我的情火會燒得更旺。
But reckoning time, whose million'd accidents
假如我當時想到有千百萬次
Creep in 'twixt vows and change decrees of kings,
時光會推翻盟誓,改變圣旨,
Tan sacred beauty, blunt the sharp'st intents,
使絕色美人變黑,挫敗大略雄圖,

Divert strong minds to the course of altering things;
壯志凌云終難改無常的時序——
Alas, why, fearing of time's tyranny,
唉,懾于時間的暴戾專橫,
Might I not then say 'Now I love you best,'
我那時干嗎不說“我現在最最愛你”,
When I was certain o'er incertainty,
既然我那時已覺勝券在握,
Crowning the present, doubting of the rest?
雖知來日不可追,畢竟可使今朝喜?
Love is a babe; then might I not say so,
愛是幼嬰;那時我的話不可能這樣,
To give full growth to that which still doth grow?
為的是那成長中的嬰兒全面地成長。