The "new better off," as I've come to call it,
我所說的“新型安逸生活”
is less about investing in the perfect family and more about investing in the imperfect village,
不是關于維持完美的家庭,而是關于維持不那么完美的村落,
whether that's relatives living under one roof, a cohousing community like mine,
不論是所有親戚住在同一屋檐下,就像是我的合作居住社區一樣,
or just a bunch of neighbors who pledge to really know and look out for one another.
還是幾戶鄰居想要真正了解彼此。
It's good common sense, right? And yet, money has often made us dumb about reaching out.
這都不錯,對嗎?如今,金錢使我們麻木,不再向他人伸出雙手。
The most reliable wealth is found in relationship.
但是最可靠的財富來源于人際關系之中。
The new better off is not an individual prospect at all.
新型安逸生活不是一個人的成功就能達到的。
In fact, if you're a failure or you think you're a failure, I've got some good news for you:
事實上,如果你是個失敗者,或者你自認為是個失敗者,我有一些好消息給你,
you might be a success by standards you have not yet honored.
也許你沒達到成功的標準,
Maybe you're a mediocre earner but a masterful father.
也許你是個普通的上班族,但是在當父親這方面很有一套
Maybe you can't afford your dream home, but you throw legendary neighborhood parties.
也許你買不起夢寐以求的房子,但是你可以舉辦眾所周知的社區聚會。
If you're a textbook success, the implications of what I'm saying could be more grim for you.
如果你是個標準的成功者,我要說的可能對你來說就是個壞消息。
You might be a failure by standards you hold dear but that the world doesn't reward. Only you can know.
可能你自認為的成功標準別人都不買賬,這樣你可能也是個失敗者,只有你自己知道。
I know that I am not a tribute to my great-grandmother,
這并不是向我的曾祖母致敬
who lived such a short and brutish life, if I earn enough money to afford every creature comfort.
她的生命如此短暫殘酷,如果我掙到足夠多的錢,讓所有人都過上舒適的生活。
You can't buy your way out of suffering or into meaning.
花再多的錢,也不能擺脫痛苦,也不能使人生有意義。
There is no home big enough to erase the pain that she must have endured.
再大的房子也不能抹去她所承受的痛苦。
I am a tribute to her if I live a life as connected and courageous as possible.
如果我的生活盡可能地與他人聯系緊密,盡可能勇敢,這才是向她致敬。