I waited till the last deep and full vibration had expired
我等待著,直至深沉雄渾的顫音消失
till the tide of talk, checked an instant, had resumed its flow.
嗡嗡的談話聲停頓了片刻后再次響起。
I then quitted my sheltered corner and made my exit by the side-door, which was fortunately near.
隨后我離開我躲藏的角落,幸虧邊門很近,便從那里走了出去。
Thence a narrow passage led into the hall.
這里有一條狹窄的走廊通向大廳。
In crossing it, I perceived my sandal was loose.
我穿過時,發覺鞋帶松了。
I stopped to tie it, kneeling down for that purpose on the mat at the foot of the staircase.
便停下來把它系上,跪在樓梯腳下的墊子上。
I heard the dining-room door unclose. A gentleman came out;
我聽見餐室的門開了,一位男士走了出來。
Rising hastily, I stood face to face with him. It was Mr. Rochester.
我急忙直起身子,正好同那人打了個照面,原來是羅切斯特先生。
"How do you do?" he asked.
"你好嗎?"他問。
"I am very well, sir."
"我很好,先生。"
"Why did you not come and speak to me in the room?"
"你為什么不進房間來同我談談呢?"
I thought I might have retorted the question on him who put it, but I would not take that freedom.
我想我本可以反問這個問題,但我不愿那么放肆。
I answered: "I did not wish to disturb you, as you seemed engaged, sir."
只是回答說:"我不想打攪你,因為你好像正忙著呢,先生。"
"What have you been doing during my absence?"
"我外出期間你一直在干些什么呢?"
"Nothing particular, teaching Adèle as usual."
"沒有什么特別事兒,照例教阿黛勒。"
"And getting a good deal paler than you were — as I saw at first sight. What is the matter?"
"而且比以前蒼白了,這我一眼就看出來了,你怎么啦?"