"Here then is a Corsair-song.
"這里有一首海盜歌。
Know that I doat on Corsairs, and for that reason, sing it con spirito."
你知道我喜歡海盜們,因此你要唱得精神抖擻"。
"Commands from Miss Ingram's lips would put spirit into a mug of milk and water."
"英格拉姆小姐的圣旨一下,連牛奶和水也會產生靈性。"
"Take care, then. If you don't please me, I will shame you by showing how such things should be done."
"那么,小心點兒,要是你不能使我滿意,我會教你應當怎么做,而讓你丟臉。"
"That is offering a premium on incapacity. I shall now endeavour to fail."
"那是對無能的一種獎賞,現在我要努力讓自己失敗。"
"Gardez-vous en bien! If you err wilfully, I shall devise a proportionate punishment."
"你們好!要是你故意出錯,我要作出相應的懲罰。"
"Miss Ingram ought to be clement, for she has it in her power to inflict a chastisement beyond mortal endurance."
"英格拉姆小姐應當手下留情,因為她能夠作出使凡人無法承受的懲罰。"
"Ha! explain!" commanded the lady.
"哈哈!你解釋一下!"小姐命令道。
"Pardon me, madam. No need of explanation,
"請原諒,小姐。不需要解釋了。
your own fine sense must inform you that one of your frowns would be a sufficient substitute for capital punishment."
你敏銳的直覺一定會告訴你,你一皺眉頭就抵得上死刑"
"Sing!" said she, and again touching the piano, she commenced an accompaniment in spirited style.
"唱吧!"她說,又碰了碰鋼琴,開始了她風格活潑的伴奏。
"Now is my time to slip away," thought I, but the tones that then severed the air arrested me.
"現在我該溜了,"我思忖道。但是那富有穿透力的聲調吸引了我。
Mrs. Fairfax had said Mr. Rochester possessed a fine voice.
費爾法克斯太太曾說過,羅切斯特先生的嗓子很好。
He did — a mellow, powerful bass, into which he threw his own feeling, his own force,
確實他有一個圓潤、洪亮的男低音。唱的時候他傾注了自己的感情,自己的力量。
finding a way through the ear to the heart, and there waking sensation strangely.
那歌聲透過耳朵、灌進了心田,神奇地喚醒了知覺。