Dialogue 1
Mark: Jingjing, did you have a good holiday?
馬克:京晶,假期過得愉快嗎?
Jingjing: Yeah, I went on a trip with some of my university classmates.
京晶:不錯哦。我和幾個大學同學一起來了個小旅行。
Mark: Where did you go?
馬克:你們去哪兒了?
Jingjing: We went to Chengdu to see the pandas and eat spicy food.
京晶:我們去成都看大熊貓了,還吃了辣辣的食物。
Mark: Wow that must have been loads of fun. Why didn't you post anything about it on WeChat?
馬克:哇哦,那一定很好玩吧!為什么不見你在朋友圈里曬一曬呢?
Jingjing: Well, I don't like to show off my personal life.
京晶:嗯,我不太喜歡過于展示(炫耀)自己的私生活。
Mark: That's good of you. I've noticed you're pretty devoted to work. That shows on your WeChat posts.
馬克:那也挺好的。我注意到你工作挺投入的,從你的微信發布上就能看出來。
Jingjing: Yeah, I think of WeChat as something connected with work.
京晶:是啊,我認為微信是與工作密切相連的東西。
Mark: Well, it's good to know you had fun during the holiday.
馬克:那好吧。知道你假期玩得不錯就好。
Jingjing: It was fun. I hadn't set eyes on some of my classmates in years.
京晶:確實好玩。有些同學我都好多年沒見面了。
Mark: I know how that goes. Lucky you, you got to paint the town and see some natural scenery all in one trip.
馬克:我知道你們怎么玩的。瞧你們幸運得,你們大肆狂歡唄,一趟旅途就看遍了所有的好風景。
Jingjing: I think I've still got the pictures on my phone.
京晶:我想我手機里還有些照片。
Mark: Ha ha, now you want to show off?
馬克:哈哈,那你現在要曬一下嗎?
Jingjing: Not if you're going to bust my chops about it!
京晶:才不呢如果你要取笑我的話。
New words: 習語短語
loads of fun許多樂趣 many fun activities
That's good of you. 真不錯,挺好的,對某人表達慷慨,關切的口頭語nice of you, showing your generosity and consideration for others
set eyes on 親眼看見、瞧見 see, in real life
paint the town玩得很開心have fun in a city, by eating fancy meals and going to shows
bust (someone's) chops 痛擊,開玩笑地斥責某人chide someone jokingly
Dialogue 2
Jingjing and Mark talk later the same day.
京晶和馬克之后繼續聊著
Jingjing: Mark, I forgot to ask you what you did on your holiday.
京晶:馬克,我忘了問你你假期都干了什么呀?
Mark: I had a stay-cation and caught up on work.
馬克:我就過了一個原地待著的假期,手里一堆工作。
Jingjing: That doesn't sound very exciting.
京晶:這聽著可不太有趣。
Mark: It wasn't much to brag about. That's why I didn't post anything over the holiday.
馬克:這也沒什么可吹的吧,這就是為什么假期里我什么都沒發(在朋友圈)。
Jingjing: Do you wish you'd taken a trip?
京晶:你希望你也來一趟說走就走的旅行嗎?
Mark: I didn't want to deal with crowds and traffic.
馬克:我可不想對付擁擠的人群和交通那些麻煩事。
Jingjing: Yeah, it gets to be a mob scene in some places this time of year.
京晶:對啊,今年有些地方已經是人山人海了。
Mark: Well, yeah, but my WeChat contacts made it seem like I was missing the best time of year.
馬克:但是我那些微信朋友們搞得我好像錯過了今年最好的時節。
Jingjing: Let me guess, selfies and scenery made you feel bad?
京晶:我猜猜,秀自拍和秀風景讓你感覺不爽嗎?
Mark: That's basically it. I'd reach a natural stopping point in work, check WeChat and—oh, look at how much fun we're having!
馬克:差不多說到點兒上了吧。我正工作著,稍微停下來休息的時候,一翻朋友圈——天,瞧我們玩得多開心吶!
Jingjing: That can be annoying: new possessions, fancy meals, breathtaking sights... Aren't you happy for your friends, though?
京晶:那就有些令人煩躁了:新買的東西呀,豪華大餐呀,美得令人屏息的風景呀,不過,你難道不為你的朋友們感到高興嗎?
Mark: Of course I'm happy for them. They remind me about the need to be modest when it comes to the times I spend living it up.
馬克:我當然為他們感到高興啦。他們也提醒了我,當我縱情玩樂時還是需要保持低調。
Jingjing: Well, I'll expect to see news stories and useful information on your WeChat posts then.
京晶:好吧,那我也希望在你的朋友圈里看到新的故事和有用的信息。
Mark: Don't hold your breath for that. I'll probably brag about the next fun trip I take.
馬克:別當真。我可能下次旅行回來也會曬一曬。
New words: 習語短語
stay-cation 呆在原地的假期 relaxing and pampering yourself during a holiday, without leaving the city where you live
a mob scene 人山人海a very crowded area, such as the Badaling site of the Great Wall on a spring weekend
a natural stopping point 工作休息的間隙 a time, when someone has finished part of their work or a speech they're making, at which a person could have a rest or introduce a new task/idea
living it up 奢侈的消遣玩樂 having fun, often in an expensive way
Don't hold your breath. 別屏住你的呼吸, 別等太久,你不要當真,這個可能不會發生 This means something isn't likely to happen anytime in the near future.
Dialogue 3
Jingjing and Mark see each other after another short holiday.
一次短假后,馬克和京晶又見面了
Jingjing: Mark, I saw what you posted of your trip to the wetlands.
京晶:馬克,我看見你去濕地的旅行發布了。
Mark: Good times, right?
馬克:玩得還不錯吧?
Jingjing: Yeah—such beautiful scenery too!
京晶:是呢,也是相當不錯的風景呢!
Mark: Well, I'll let you in on a little secret: I didn't get in.
馬克:好吧,我要向你透露一個小秘密:我其實沒進去。
Jingjing: What was the problem?
京晶:什么情況?
Mark: The park was closed for the holiday or something. So, I just took pictures through the fence.
馬克:公園因為放假或什么別的原因關門了。所以,我就透過柵欄拍了幾張照。
Jingjing: Ha ha. Not only did you show off, you showed off something you didn't do!
京晶:哈哈哈哈,你還不僅是炫耀,你還炫那些你沒做的事呀!