I found that out the hard way.
意識到這點非常難。
You see, my hope was never to build a company, I wanna to have an impact.
我從來沒想過創造一個公司,我想要的是創造影響力。
And as all these people started joining us, I just assumed that's what they wanted to do too,
越來越多的人加入我們,我以為他們跟我關心的是同樣的東西,
so I never took the time to explain what it was that I hoped we'd build.
所以我從來沒花時間解釋過我到底希望建立什么。
A couple years in, some big companies wanted to buy us.
幾年來,一些大公司想要收購我們。
I didn't want to sell.
我拒絕了。
I wanted to see if we could connect more people.
我只是想知道我是否能使更多的人連接在一起。
and we were building the first version of News Feed at the time, and I thought if we could just launch this,
那是我們正在建立第一個版本的新聞流,我想,如果我們能做到這一點,
we could change how we all learn about the world.
我們能改變我們認識世界的方式。
Nearly everyone else wanted to sell.
幾乎所有人都想讓我把公司賣了。
Without a sense of higher purpose, this was their startup dream come true. and it tore our company apart.
因為沒有更高遠的使命感,所以把我們新開的公司使他們的夢想得到實現。由于意見不合,使得我們公司內部四分五裂。

After one particularly tense argument,
經過一次尤為激烈的爭論后,
one of my close advisor told me if I didn't agree to sell the company right now, I would regret that decision for the rest of my life.
有一位顧問跟我說,如果我現在不立刻把公司賣掉的話,我會終身后悔的。
Relationships were so frayed that within a year or so every single person on the management team was gone.
在一年左右的時間里,當時的管理層幾乎都走了。
That was my hardest time leading Facebook.
這是我在臉書里最艱難的時期,
I believed in what we were doing, but I felt alone.
我相信我們在做的東西,但是我也感到很孤獨。
And worse, it was my fault.
更糟糕的是,當時我覺得這是我的錯,
I wondered if I was just wrong, an imposter, a 22 year-old kid who had no idea how things actually worked.
我在想是不是我錯了,一個騙子,一個22歲的、少不更事的小孩。
Now, years later, I understand that is how things work when there is no sense of higher purpose.
多年以后的今天,我明白了,那是因為還沒有更高的目標。
It's up to us to create it so we can all keep moving forward together.
是否創造它取決于我們,所以我們能一起前進。
And today, I want to talk about three ways that we can create a world where everyone has a sense of purpose:
今天我想談談創造一個每個人都有使命感的世界的三種方法:
by taking on big meaningful projects together,
一起做有意義的項目;
by redefining equality so everyone has the freedom to pursue their purpose, and by building community all across the world.
通過重新定義平等,使每個人都有追求他們目標的自由;在全世界建立社群。