And that gives you a fundamental idea of how viral a product is.
這樣你就能知道產品是如何進行病毒營銷的了
So Hotmail is like, the canonical example of brilliant viral marketing, right?
Hotmail就是一個典型的病毒營銷的例子
Back when Hotmail launched, there were a bunch of mail companies that had been funded
Hotmail剛建立的時候已經有很多電子郵件公司獲得了投資
and they were throwing huge amounts of money at traditional advertising.
并在傳統廣告上面投入了很多錢
How many people know the Hotmail story, of virality?
大家知道Hotmail病毒營銷的經過嗎?
Awesome, great, new audience, sorry.
很好,有新同學
Those two or three people will be bored.
知道的幾個同學可能會對下面的內容感到無聊
But Hotmail back in, back at that time.
Hotmail剛建立那會兒
People couldn't get free email clients, they had to be tied to their ISP.
人們不能免費使用電子郵件必須依靠網絡服務器提供者(ISP)
And Hotmail and a few other companies launched and their clients were available wherever you went.
Hotmail和一些其他公司可以讓用戶在任何地點使用電子郵件
You could log in via library internet or whatever, school internet, and be able to get access to that.
可以在圖書館,學校或任何地方的網絡上接入Hotmail
Which was a really big value proposition for everyone, who wanted to access it.
這對于需要使用電子郵件的人來說有巨大吸引力
Most of the companies, went out there and did big TV campaigns and billboard campaigns and
很多公司花了大價錢在電視上,廣告牌上
newspaper campaigns and things like that forced a lot of advertising of Yahoo, all of those things.
報紙上Yahoo網站等媒介上打了無數廣告
But the Hotmail team didn't have as much funding, and so they had to scrabble around to figure out how to do it.
但Hotmail沒有那么多資金因此他們不得不摸索新的廣告方式
So, what they did was add that little link at the bottom of every email that said, sent from Hotmail, get your free email here.
他們的方法是在每封郵件的下面加一個小的鏈接"發送自Hotmail點此獲取免費郵箱"
Now, the interesting thing is that meant the payload was low.
有趣的是,這樣做的有效載荷是很低的
Right, you email one person at a time, not necessarily gonna have a huge payload.
因此你一次只能發給一個人不會有很大的有效載荷
Maybe you send around some of those viral spam emails.
或許你可以發送大量的垃圾郵件
But then I'm not sure I'll click on your link.
但估計很多人不會去點
The frequency is high, though because you're emailing the same people over and over and over.
頻率很高因為你可能每天給同一個人發很多信
Which means you're gonna hit them once, twice, three times a day with that same link and really move up the impressions.
也就是說你可以不斷給他們發送相同的鏈接從而使他們加深印象