Now I can't speak for you,
雖然我不能完全代表你們
but it seems to be the case that we don't have sex with people we can't talk to.
但可以這樣說,我們不會跟無法交流的人去做愛
Now we have to counter that, though, against the evidence we've heard
不過也許現在得算上這種情況,基于已有證據表明
that we might have had some rather distasteful genetic dalliances with the Neanderthals and the Denisovans.
我們曾與尼安德特人和丹尼索夫人有些不甚美好的浪漫史(早期現代人類與尼安德特人及丹尼索夫人雜交的科學發現)
Okay, this tendency we have, this seemingly natural tendency we have,
我們發現的趨勢,這種看似自然的趨勢
towards isolation, towards keeping to ourselves, crashes head first into our modern world.
即這種趨向分離,趨向自我孤立的勢頭,一頭撞上了現代社會,就被擊破
This remarkable image is not a map of the world.
這幅令人影響深刻的圖片,并不是世界地圖
In fact, it's a map of Facebook friendship links.
而是Facebook臉譜朋友群分布的一副地圖
And when you plot those friendship links by their latitude and longitude, it literally draws a map of the world.
當你把朋友的位置依照他們所在的經緯度連起來,就畫出了一副世界地圖
Our modern world is communicating with itself and with each other
現代社會在不停地與自身和其他人交流
more than it has at any time in its past.
這種交流比歷史上任何時候都頻繁
And that communication, that connectivity around the world, that globalization now raises a burden.
這種交流,這種世界性的連接,也就是全球化下正在漸漸浮起的隱憂
Because these different languages impose a barrier, as we've just seen,
因為這些不同的語言變成一道屏障
to the transfer of goods and ideas and technologies and wisdom.
阻礙了貨物和思想的交流,技術和智慧的交流
And they impose a barrier to cooperation.
在合作上施加了障礙
And nowhere do we see that more clearly than in the European Union,
比起其他地方,這在歐盟尤為顯著
whose 27 member countries speak 23 official languages.
歐盟有27個盟國、23種官方語言
The European Union is now spending over one billion euros annually translating among their 23 official languages.
歐盟現在每年要花費超過十億歐元,用于互翻23種官方語言
That's something on the order of 1.45 billion U.S. dollars on translation costs alone.
這大約是十四億五千萬美元的翻譯開銷。