We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many months of struggle and suffering.
我們所面臨的將是一場極其嚴酷的考驗,將是曠日持久的斗爭和苦難。
You ask, what is our policy? I say it is to wage war by land, sea and air.
若問我們的政策是什么?我的回答是:在陸上、海上、空中作戰。
War with all our might and with all the strength God has given us,
盡我們的全力,盡上帝賦予我們的全部力量去作戰,
and to wage war against a monstrous tyranny never surpassed in the dark and lamentable catalogue of human crime.
對人類黑暗、可悲的罪惡史上空前兇殘的暴政作戰。
That is our policy.
這就是我們的政策。
You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word, It is victory.
若問我們的目標是什么?我可以用一個詞來回答,那就是勝利。
Victory at all costs -victory in spite of all terrors-victory, however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival.
不惜一切代價,去奪取勝利——不懼一切恐怖,去奪取勝利——不論前路如何漫長、如何艱苦,去奪取勝利。因為沒有勝利就不能生存。
Let that be realized.
我們務必認識到,
No survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge,
沒有勝利就不復有大英帝國,沒有勝利就不復有大英帝國所象征的一切,
the impulse of the ages, that mankind shall move forward toward his goal.
沒有勝利就不復有多少世紀以來的強烈要求和沖動:人類應當向自己的目標邁進。
I take up my task in buoyancy and hope.
我精神振奮、滿懷信心地承擔起我的任務。
I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men.
我確信,大家聯合起來,我們的事業就不會遭到挫敗。
I feel entitled at this juncture, at this time, to claim the aid of all.
在此時此刻的危急關頭,我覺得我有權要求各方面的支持。
And to say, "Come then, let us go forward together with our united strength."
我要說,來吧,讓我們群策群力,并肩前進!