19. Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in 1994 Received the Nobel Peace Prize in the Speech
19. 以色列總理拉賓1994年在接受諾貝爾和平獎時的演講
Since I don't believe that there was any precedent that one person got the Nobel Prize twice,
我想從來沒有任何人曾兩度獲得諾貝爾獎,
allow me on this opportunity to attach to this prestigious award, a personal touch.
因此請允許我利用這個機會再花些時間就這一獎項談談自己的感觸。
At an age when most youngsters are struggling to unravel the secrets of mathematics and the mysteries of the Bible;
當處在對大多數年輕人來說應該在努力揭開數學的秘密和圣經的奧秘的年齡時;
at an age when first love blooms; at the tender age of sixteen, I was handed a rifle so that I could defend myself.
當處在愛情的花朵初次綻放的年齡時;當處在而又在不諳世事的十六歲時,卻有人遞給我一支步槍以防身。
That was not my dream.
那本不是我的夢想。
I wanted to be a water enginêer.
我曾夢想當一位水利工程師。
I studied in an agricultural school and I thought being a water engineer was an important profession in the parched Middle East.
我曾在一所農業學校學習,當時認為在干旱的中東,水利工程師會是一個重要的職業。
I still think so today.
今天我依然堅持這個想法。
However, I was compelled to resort to the gun.
然而,我卻被迫與槍打交道。
I served in the military for decades.
我在軍隊服役了幾十年。
Under my responsibility, young men and women who wanted to live, wanted to love, went to their deaths instead.
在我服役期間,渴望生命、渴望愛情的年輕男女卻走上了黃泉之路。
They fell in the defense of our lives.
他們是我捍衛我們的生命安全而倒下的。
Ladies and Gentlemen,
女士們,先生們,
In my current position, I have ample opportunity to fly over the State of Israel, and lately over other parts of the Middle East as well.
以我目前的地位,我完全有機會乘飛機飛越以色列,然后飛越中東的其他地區。
The view from the plane is breathtaking; deep-blue seas and lakes, dark-green fields, dune-colored deserts,
從飛機上看到的景色是攝人心魄的:深藍色的海洋和湖泊,深綠色的田野,五顏六色的沙丘構成的沙漠,
stone-gray mountains, and the entire countryside peppered with white-washed, red-roofed houses.
石灰色的山脈,以及由白墻和紅頂的房子點綴的整鄉村。
And also cemeteries. Graves as far as the eye can see.
還有墓地,那一眼望不到邊的一個個墳墓。
Hundreds of cemeteries in our part of the world, in the Middle East—in our home in Israel, but also in Egypt, in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon.
在我們居住的世界上的中東地區,在以色列我們的家園,而且還有埃及,敘利亞,約旦,黎巴嫩,放眼望去都是數以百計的基地。
From the plane's window, from the thousands of feet above them, the countless tombstones are silent.
從幾千英尺高的飛機的窗口往下望,無數的墓碑沉默不語,
But the sound of their outcry has carried from the Middle East throughout the world for decades.
但是幾十年來,他們的疾呼聲不曾間斷地從中東傳向世界各地。