How are you feeling? He asked. Those who got it.
他問你們感覺如何? 得到的說
Ecstatic! Happiest we've ever been. And How long are you going to stay happy for.
喜出望外 我們沒從這樣快樂過 你們的快樂會持續多久?
For the rest of our lives. We've made it.
余生都會倍感快樂 我們成功了
And then he went to those who didn't get tenure and asked them, How are you feeling.
然后他去找沒得到終身職位的并問 你們感覺如何?
They were devastated. And they were sure that.
他們很難過 而且確信
They were going to remain devastated for a very long time. And he went back to see them three months later.
會難過好久 三個月后 他再去訪問他們
Six months later. And what Gilbert and his colleagues found.
六個月后再去 Gilbert和他的同事發現
Was that almost to the person, those who got tenure or did not get tenure.
幾乎每一個人 不管得到還是沒得到終身職位
Went back to their previous level of well-being: If they were happy before.
都恢復到之前的幸福水平 如果他們之前是快樂的
They were happy six months hence; if they were unhappy before.
六個月后也是快樂的 如果他們之前是不快樂的
Regardless whether they get tenure or not, they were not happy.
不管他們是否得到終身職位 他們都是不快樂的
In other words, it looks like this and went back to base level or; it looks like this and back to base level.
換言之 情形看似這樣 然后回到基礎水平 或者看似這樣 然后回到基礎水平
They did the same with lottery winners. What if you really win ten million dollars.
他們對中彩票的人做了同樣的研究 如果你真得中了一千萬美元
Will it actually make you happier? Yes for a while, but not for long.
真得能讓你更快樂嗎? 是的 更快樂一段時間并不長久
Philip Brickman, Northwestern University did this research. After within 6 months.
西北大學的Philip Brickman做了這個研究 經過六個月