After the hour was up, I rolled down my window, and I checked for mama grizzly.
一小時的時間到了之后,我搖下了車窗,看看灰熊媽媽還在不在。
Oh good, she's over there eating her huckleberries.
哦太棒了,她在挺遠的地方吃她的藍莓呢。
So I got out of the truck and I got to work.
所以我下了卡車繼續我的工作。
I went to my first bag with the birch. I pulled the bag off.
我走到第一個罩上袋子的那棵樺樹旁邊,把袋子扯了下來。
I ran my Geiger counter over its leaves. Kkhh! Perfect.
我在那棵樹的葉子旁邊用蓋革計數器檢測一下。咔!完美。
The birch had taken up the radioactive gas. Then the moment of truth.
那棵樺樹已經完全吸收了放射性的二氧化碳。然后就是見證真相的時刻了。
I went over to the fir tree. I pulled off its bag.
我走向一棵花旗松,扯下樹上那個袋子。
I ran the Geiger counter up its needles, and I heard the most beautiful sound. Kkhh!
在它的針葉旁邊用蓋革計數器進行檢測,然后我又聽到了那最悅耳的聲音。咔!
It was the sound of birch talking to fir, and birch was saying, "Hey, can I help you?"
這就是紙皮樺對花旗松說話的聲音,紙皮樺說:“嘿,我能幫你點什么?”
And fir was saying, "Yeah, can you send me some of your carbon?
然后花旗松回應它:“啊對了,你能給我點你的碳嗎?
Because somebody threw a shade cloth over me."
因為剛才有人用遮光布把我罩住了。”
I went up to cedar, and I ran the Geiger counter over its leaves, and as I suspected, silence.
接著我又走到西部紅杉旁邊,我用蓋革計數器在它的葉子旁邊檢測了一下,結果正如我猜測的一樣,一片寂靜。
Cedar was in its own world.
西部紅杉還真的是與世隔絕的。
It was not connected into the web interlinking birch and fir.
它并沒有連接到紙皮樺與花旗松互連的網絡中。
I was so excited, I ran from plot to plot and I checked all 80 replicates.
我特別激動,我在那80棵樣本之間跑來跑去,對所有的樹都進行了檢測。
The evidence was clear.
最后的結果顯而易見。
The C-13 and C-14 was showing me that paper birch and Douglas fir were in a lively two-way conversation.
碳13和碳14的流向告訴我,紙皮樺和花旗松之間的交流是雙向的。
It turns out at that time of the year, in the summer,
結果還表明在每年的這個時間,在夏天的時候,
that birch was sending more carbon to fir than fir was sending back to birch, especially when the fir was shaded.
紙皮樺給花旗松送的碳比花旗松反送給它的要多,特別是當花旗松見不到陽光的時候。