That shows yes genes do matter and they matter a lot, as we'll talk about during the week on change.
顯示基因很重要 影響甚多探討改變的時候我們再談這問題
Other things matter as well. And the error that Lykken and Tellegen and many others make
還有其他因素和基因一樣重要像Lykken和Tellegen那樣 人們常錯誤地
When they generalize and say change is not possible is what I call the error of the average .
概括出一個結論 變化是不可能的 我稱之為 大眾錯誤
Yes, on average, when you look at this group of 40 or 50 twins reared apart,
平均而言當研究這40或50組被分開撫養的雙胞胎
When you look at the average, they are just about the same.
大體看來他們是一樣的
However, that's not looking at the individuals because while many of them are the same,
然而 沒有單獨來看因為 雖然他們大多數是非常相似的
Not all are the same. It reminds me of a joke about the statistician
但并不是全部都一樣這讓我想起一個統計學笑話
Who drowned in a pool with an average height of 10 inches. You see you cannot tell the height or the depth rather
在一個平均水深為10英寸的游泳池里 誰會被淹死只知道平均值
Of a pool based on the average. Because that pool may be average of 10 inches,
并不知道游泳池的水深由于該池平均10英寸深
But maybe it has places that are 20 feet deep, if it's a large pool.
或許它某些區域有20英尺深如果它是一個大水池的話
The same when you look at the average of individuals and twins. The majority on average, they are extremely similar.
同樣 當你平均地看這些雙胞胎大體來說 他們都極其相似
But there are also outliers. And very often, it's the outliers,
但也有少數的異常值很多時候 這個異常值
The differences that are the most interesting. Because they stretch
這些差異最有趣因為他們