As I got my Bachelor's and PhD in electrical engineering,
當我電子工程方面取得學士與博士學位,
did R And D in the UK, then consulting in the Middle East,
在英國從事研發,此外在中東咨詢,
I have always been in male-dominated environments.
我總是處在男權至上的環境。
Truth be told, I have never found a role model I could truly identify with.
老實說,我從未找到能讓我共鳴的榜樣。
My mother's generation wasn't into professional leadership.
我母親的年代對職業的領導地位不感興趣。
There were some encouraging men along the way,
在我的經歷中遇見過很多激勵并鼓舞人心的男士,
but none knew the demands and pressures I was facing,
但沒有人知道我當時正面對的需求與壓力。
pressures that got particularly acute when I had my own two beautiful children.
當我擁有兩個美麗的小孩時,這壓力變得特別嚴重。
And although Western women love to give us poor, oppressed Arab women advice,
而雖然西方女性喜歡給予貧窮的、 受欺壓的阿拉伯女性忠告,
they live different lives with different constraints.
但她們過著不一樣的生活,有著不一樣的束縛。
So Arab women of my generation have had to become our own role models.
所以我這一代的阿拉伯女性不得不成為我們的楷模。
We have had to juggle more than Arab men,
我們不得不比阿拉伯男性兼顧更多,
and we have had to face more cultural rigidity than Western women.
我們也不得不去面對比起西方女性會遇到的更頑固的文化。
As a result, I would like to think that we poor, oppressed women
到最后,我想,對于我們這些貧窮、受壓迫的女性
actually have some useful, certainly hard-earned lessons to share,
確實有一些實用的、來之不易的經驗能夠去分享,
lessons that might turn out useful for anyone wishing to thrive in the modern world.
這些經驗可能對任何一位希望在這現代化的世界成長茁壯的人都很有用。
Here are three of mine.
我這里有三個經驗分享。
There is this word that everybody is touting as the key to success: resilience.
每個人都認為這是成功的金鑰匙:適應性。
Well, what exactly is resilience, and how do you develop it?
恩,什么是適應性,你要怎么發展適應性呢?
I believe resilience is simply the ability to transform shit into fuel.
我相信適應性簡單來說就是把負面能量轉換成自身動力的能力