Chapter 22
第22章
Even though a boy may be very unhappy, he very seldom loses sleep over his worries.
一個孩子不管有多難過,都很少因為憂心而影響到睡眠。
The Marionette, being no exception to this rule, slept on peacefully for a few hours till well along toward midnight,
木偶也毫無例外的呼呼睡了幾個鐘頭直到半夜,
when he was awakened by strange whisperings and stealthy sounds coming from the yard.
突然被從院子里傳來的一陣耳語和鬼鬼祟祟的聲音驚醒了。
He stuck his nose out of the doghouse and saw four slender, hairy animals.
他把鼻子伸出狗屋,看見四只纖瘦的、毛茸茸的動物。
They were Weasels, small animals very fond of both eggs and chickens.
它們是黃鼠狼,一種特別愛吃雞蛋和雞的小動物。
One of them left her companions and, going to the door of the doghouse, said in a sweet voice: "Good evening, Melampo."
—只黃鼠狼離開同伴,走到狗屋的門前來,用甜美的聲音說:“晚上好,梅蘭珀?!?/div>
?
"My name is not Melampo," answered Pinocchio.
“我不叫梅蘭珀。”皮諾喬回答說。
"Who are you, then?"
“那你是誰?”
"I am Pinocchio."
“我是皮諾喬。”
"What are you doing here?"
“你在這里干什么?”
"I'm the watchdog."
“我是看門狗。”
"But where is Melampo? Where is the old dog who used to live in this house?"
“梅蘭珀呢?一直住在這狗屋里的老狗哪兒去了?”
"He died this morning."
“他今天早晨死了。”
"Died? Poor beast! He was so good! Still, judging by your face, I think you, too, are a good natured dog."
“死了?可憐的畜生!它那么好!可看你的臉,我覺得你也是一只和善的狗?!?/div>
"I beg your pardon, I am not a dog!"
“對不起,我不是狗!”
"What are you, then?"
“那你是什么?”
"I am a Marionette."
“我是一個木偶?!?/div>
"Are you taking the place of the watchdog?"
“你在代替看門狗看門?”
"I'm sorry to say that I am. I'm being punished."
“很抱歉是的,我在接受處罰。”
"Well, I shall make the same terms with you that we had with the dead Melampo. I am sure you will be glad to hear them."
“好,我要和你訂立條款,救同我跟已故的梅蘭珀做的一樣,你會很高興聽到的?!?/div>
"And what are the terms?"
“什么條款?”

- 閱讀本文的人還閱讀了: