When you see the headlines in the Wall Street Journal of November this past year about "widespread fiscal and economic uncertainty, "
去年11月華爾街日報的頭條也說 "遍布全國的財政和經濟不確定性"
I remember the headline in April of '68, the same publication that said "US in worst fiscal crisis since 1931"
我記得68年4月這份報紙也說 "美國自1931年以來正經歷最嚴重的財政危機"
My generation heard the same voices of doom and despair that your generation hears today.
我那一代人也同樣聽到了這些悲觀和絕望的聲音 同你們這一代人現如今一樣
"American decline" "America's lost its way"
"美國衰落" "美國迷失方向"
"withered America" What those voices do not and did not understand.
"沒落的美國" 這些聲音并不明白的是
Is that in both instances -- yours and mine -- we graduated into a world that had changed.
不管是你們現在 還是我們當時 我們畢業后正踏入一個變化的世界
The world of William Butler Yeats Writing about his Ireland in a poem called "Easter Sunday 1916, " He said,
一個威廉.巴特勒.葉芝所描述的世界 在關于愛爾蘭的詩歌《1916年復活節》中
"All has changed, changed utterly A terrible beauty is born"
他寫道 "一切都變了 徹底變了" "驚世之美正在誕生"
Old answers, the policies of the previous generation that has served my generation so well.
舊的答案 前一代人的政策 很好地服務了我這一代
Have little applicability to the world into which I was graduating On the eve of my graduation, Dr. King had been assassinated.
卻對我畢業后要前往的世界沒有多少適用性 就在我畢業前夕 金牧師遇刺身亡