And we think that this alignment is necessary for communication.
我們認為有效溝通必須有這樣的較準。
For example, as you can tell, I am not a native English speaker.
舉個例子,你們都聽得出來英語并不是我的母語。
I grew up with another language, and the same might be for many of you in the audience.
我在另一種語言環境中長大,你們當中很多人可能也是如此。
And still, we can communicate. How come?
盡管如此,我們依然可以溝通,為什么呢?
We think we can communicate because we have this common code that presents meaning.
我們認為,能溝通是因為我們有表達語意的共通代碼。
So far, I've only talked about what's happening in the listener's brain,
目前為止,我只談到聽者大腦里發生的情況,
in your brain, when you're listening to talks.
以及你聆聽時大腦內的情況。
But what's happening in the speaker's brain, in my brain, when I'm speaking to you?
但講者腦內的情況,在我對你們說話時,我的腦內是什么情況呢?
To look in the speaker's brain, we asked the speaker to go into the scanner,
為了觀察講者的大腦,我們請求講者進入儀器接受掃描,
we scan his brain and then compare his brain responses to the brain responses of the listeners listening to the story.
然后比較他的大腦和聽者聽故事時的大腦反應。
You have to remember that producing speech and comprehending speech are very different processes.
要記得,發言和理解話語的過程是大不相同的。
Here we're asking: How similar are they?
我們可能會問:它們有多相似呢?
To our surprise, we saw that all these complex patterns within the listeners actually came from the speaker brain.
令我們驚訝的是,我們看到,聽者之間的所有這些復雜波形,實際上都源自演講者的大腦。
So production and comprehension rely on very similar processes.
所以,講話和理解依賴非常類似的過程。
And we also found the stronger the similarity between the listener's brain and the speaker's brain, the better the communication.
我們也發現,聽者和講者的大腦越是近似,他們的溝通就越順暢。
So I know that if you are completely confused now,
所以我知道,如果你們現在完全聽不懂我的話,
and I do hope that this is not the case, your brain responses are very different than mine.
我希望不會出現這種情況,那么,你們的大腦反應就會與我的非常不同。
But I also know that if you really understand me now,
但我也知道,若你此刻真正理解我所說的,
then your brain ... and your brain ... and your brain are really similar to mine.
那么,你的腦、你的腦和你的腦,就會與我的非常相似。