So I'm banging out my story and I know it's good,
我要大聲地說出我的故事,我知道很好笑
and then I start to make it better - by adding an element of embellishment.
為了讓故事更生動我會加點油、添點醋,
Reporters call this "making shit up."
記者們稱之為“瞎掰”。
And they recommend against crossing that line.
他們建議不要逾越那條線,
But I had just seen the line crossed between a high-powered dean and assault with a pastry.
但我剛看見糕點飛過那條線砸在院長大人的臉上。
And I kinda liked it.
我還挺開心的。
OK, so now let's look into your brain and see what's happening when you listen to these kinds of stories.
好,我們接下來看看當大腦聽到這類故事會怎樣反應。
And let's start simple -- let's start with one listener and one brain area:
先從簡單的開始,一位聆聽者和他大腦的一塊區域:
the auditory cortex that processes the sounds that come from the ear.
也就是處理耳朵接收聲音的聽覺皮層區塊。
And as you can see, in this particular brain area, the responses are going up and down as the story is unfolding.
如你所見,這特定區域的腦波會隨著故事的進展而上下波動。
Now we can take these responses and compare them to the responses in other listeners in the same brain area.
接下來,我們拿此波形與其他受測者同區的腦波做比較。
And we can ask: How similar are the responses across all listeners?
我們會問:所有受測聽眾的反應有多相似呢?
So here you can see five listeners.
各位可以看到這五位受測者的腦波。
And we start to scan their brains before the story starts,
故事開講前,我們已經開始掃描他們的大腦,
when they're simply lying in the dark and waiting for the story to begin.
當時他們正坐在黑暗中等待故事開講。
As you can see, the brain area is going up and down in each one of them,
如你所見,此時五人的腦波上上下下,
but the responses are very different, and not in sync.
各不相同,毫不同步。
However, immediately as the story is starting, something amazing is happening.
然而,就在故事開始后,奇妙的事情就發生了。