And, there's shockingly little that is in between.
鮮有公司介于兩者之間
And this dichotomy is not understood very well
這種兩極分化人們還不太理解
because people are constantly lying about the nature of the businesses they're in.
因為企業家通常會掩飾他們公司的真實情況
And this is why, this is in my mind, this is the most important.
也許這不是商業世界中
It's not necessarily the most important thing in business,
最重要的東西
but I think it's the most important business idea that people don't understand.
但一定是人們不理解的最重要的商業內幕
That there are just these two kinds of businesses.
只有兩種類型的公司
And so let me say a little bit about the lies that people tell.
我來講一下他們撒的謊
And so you basically, the basic, if you sort of imagine that
大家看一下這個圖
there was a spectrum of companies from perfect competition to monopoly
這個圖表示了公司從完全競爭到壟斷的整個范圍
The apparent differences are quite small.
表面區別并不大
Because the people who have monopolies pretend not to.
因為壟斷的公司通常假裝自己并不壟斷
They will basically say, and it's because you don't want to get regulated by the government,
他們會說因為我不想被政府監管
you don't want the government to come after you.
不想被政府找上門來
So you will never say that you have a monopoly.
因此永遠也不能說我是壟斷的
So, anyone who has a monopoly will pretend that they're in incredible competition.
因此,壟斷的公司都會假裝他們處于激烈的競爭中
And on the other end of the spectrum, if you are incredibly competitive,
在另外一邊,如果公司處于激烈競爭中
and if you're in some sort of business will you will never make any money.
并且你的公司不怎么賺錢
You will be tempted to tell a lie that goes in the other direction.
你通常會撒謊說
Where you will say that you're doing something unique that is somehow less competitive than it looks.
你做的東西非常獨特,并沒有看起來那么競爭激烈
Because you will want to differentiate, you will want to track capital or something like that.
因為你想要和其他公司有所區分,這樣才能吸引投資之類的東西
So, if the monopolists pretend not to have a monopolies the non-monopolists pretend to have monopolies.
因此,壟斷的公司掩飾自己的壟斷,無法壟斷的公司則拼命假裝壟斷
The apparent difference is very small.
中間的差異就變小了
Where as the real difference I would submit is actually quite big.
但他們之間的實際差異是挺大的