I've heard C# was created in a room with a group of designers.
聽說C#是你的設計小組在一個房間里設計出來的。
Yes. It was the same room for four years.
是的。我們在同一個房間里待了4年。
We’re still in that room every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
現在每周一、三、五,我們還在那兒舉行例會。
I’m curious about the design process for C#.
我對C#的設計過程很好奇。
I've been involved in several different language designs, either directly or peripherally.
這幾年,我直接或間接地參與了幾種編程語言的設計。
In the Python process, for example, Guido van Rossum is humorously referred to as the benevolent dictator.
例如在開發Python (直譯式計算機程序設計語言)的過程中,羅森被大家幽默地稱為仁慈的獨裁者。
That’s sort of my same position.
我跟他扮演同樣的角色。
You are the benevolent dictator for C#?
你也是C#設計過程中仁慈的獨裁者?
I’m the tie breaker.
我是打破僵局的人。
Once we’ve gone around an issue enough, and it is time to just make a decision one way or the other, I make it.
一旦我們在一個問題上停留很久并且到了該作某種決定的時候我就會作出最后的決定。
But in most cases the decision is obvious.
但是多數時候,這些決定都是很明顯的。
Is that similar to how Turbo Pascal and Delphi were designed?
滿輪帕斯卡(Turbo Pascal)和 Delphi (Windows平臺下著名的快速應用 程序開發工具)也是這樣設計出來的嗎?
Those were less formal. I designed Turbo Pascal mostly by myself.
它們沒這么正式。渦輪帕斯卡的設計基本由我一個人完成。
I designed Delphi with Chuck Jazdzewski and Gary Whizin,but the group was small enough that we didn’t really need a formal process.
查克扎斯載沃斯基、加里威姿恩和我一起設計了 Delphi。由于設計團體很小,我們不需要正式的流程。
For C#,on the other hand, it has worked really well to formalize:
另一方面,C#的工作是很正式的。
every Monday,Wednesday, and Friday from 1:00 to 3:00,we have a regularly scheduled meeting.
我們在每周一、三、五的下午13點舉行例會。
We have a living agenda. Issues bubble to the top, and we knock them off.
我們還有一個日程表,問題像冒泡一樣跑到日程表的最上面,然后我們快速地解決。
We have a wiki now on the internal web with the issues list,resolutions for them, and so on.
在公司內部,我們有一個自己的維基百科,上面列出了一些問題和問題的解決方案等。
How do issues bubble to the top?
那些問題是怎樣浮到表面的?
Well, they just sort of do.
嗯,只是排序而已。
We have many ways customers can give inputsoftware design reviews, news groups
客戶可以通過多種途徑向我們反饋,比如軟件設計評審會議、新聞組等,
—all sorts of ways we get feedback on the language.
通過各種方法我們得到這個語言的反饋。