He likes chocolate, he likes vanilla.
他喜歡巧克力,他喜歡香草
There's nothing that one should be able to say to the other that should persuade the other.
無論跟他們說什么,都不能改變他們。
Notice that we don't do this in science.
但我們不會這樣討論科學
On the left you have Edward Witten. He's a string theorist.
左邊這位是愛德華·威滕。他是弦理論的專家
If you ask the smartest physicists around who is the smartest physicist around,
如果你問你旁邊最聰明的物理學家誰是世界上最聰明的物理學家
in my experience half of them will say Ed Witten.
我的經驗是一半都會說是愛德華·威滕
The other half will tell you they don't like the question.
另外一半會告訴你她們不喜歡這個問題
So, what would happen if I showed up at a physics conference and said, "String theory is bogus.
那么,如果我出現在一個物理研討會,然后說弦理論是個假貨
It doesn't resonate with me. It's not how I chose to view the universe at a small scale. I'm not a fan."
我對它沒有感覺,這不是我選擇的宇宙觀,我不是那派的。
Well, nothing would happen because I'm not a physicist; I don't understand string theory.
什么都不會發生,因為我不是物理學家,我不懂弦理論
I'm the Ted Bundy of string theory.
我是弦理論的Ted Bundy
I wouldn't want to belong to any string theory club that would have me as a member. But this is just the point.
我不想加入任何愿意接受我的弦理論社團,這就是重點
Whenever we are talking about facts certain opinions must be excluded.
當我們談論事實,我們必須排除某些意見
That is what it is to have a domain of expertise. That is what it is for knowledge to count.
那就是為什么我們有專業。那就是為什么我們應該依靠知識
How have we convinced ourselves that in the moral sphere there is no such thing as moral expertise,
無論我們怎么和自己說,在道德里沒有所謂的道德專家
or moral talent, or moral genius even?
道德人才,或甚至道德天才
How have we convinced ourselves that every opinion has to count?
為什么我們要說服自己所有的意見都應該納入考慮?
How have we convinced ourselves that every culture has a point of view on these subjects worth considering?
我們是怎么說服自己,所有的文化對這些事情都有自己的觀點,而我們都應該把他們納入考量?