Sometimes we may find that we don't take care of ourselves.
有時候我們對自己太狠。
I find, for example, after a period of pseudo-extroverted behavior,
我發現自己在假裝外向性格一段時間之后,
I need to repair somewhere on my own.
我需要自己躲起來療傷。
As Susan Cain said in her "Quiet" book,
就像蘇珊·凱恩在《安靜》這本書中所寫,
in a chapter that featured the strange Canadian professor who was teaching at the time at Harvard,
其中一章提到一位古怪的加拿大教授,當時他在哈佛大學教書,
I sometimes go to the men's room to escape the slings and arrows of outrageous extroverts.
他有時候會跑到男廁所,為了躲避煩人的外向者投來的明槍暗箭。
I remember one particular day when I was retired to a cubicle, trying to avoid overstimulation.
有一次我自己也躲進了小隔間,為了暫避外界紛擾。
And a real extrovert came in beside me -- not right in my cubicle, but in the next cubicle over
這時來了一個外向者到我旁邊,當然不是在一個小隔間,是在我旁邊的小隔間
and I could hear various evacuatory noises,
我聽見了一連串物體落水的聲音,
which we hate -- even our own, that's why we flush during as well as after.
這聲音是很煩人的,哪怕是我們自己的,所以我們才會在上大號的中途也沖水。
And then I heard this gravelly voice saying,
隨后我就聽到了一個沙啞的聲音,
"Hey, is that Dr. Little?"
“嘿,請問是利特爾博士嗎?”
If anything is guaranteed to constipate an introvert for six months, it's talking on the john.
如果有什么事情能讓內向者便秘6個月,那一定是在上大號的時候聊天。
That's where I'm going now. Don't follow me. Thank you.
我現在就想去洗手間靜靜。別跟著我。謝謝您啦。