What an intriguing group of individuals you are ... to a psychologist.
你們是多么有趣的一群人啊……當然,是對心理學家而言。
I've had the opportunity over the last couple of days
在過去幾天里,我有機會
of listening in on some of your conversations and watching you interact with each other.
傾聽你們的交談,觀察你們的互動。
And I think it's fair to say, already, that there are 47 people in this audience, at this moment,
我想我已經可以大膽地說,此時此刻,在你們中間,有47個人,
displaying psychological symptoms I would like to discuss today.
已經表現出了精神病癥狀,我今天就想聊聊這個。
And I thought you might like to know who you are.
我想你們都很想知道,到底是誰有精神病。
But instead of pointing at you, which would be gratuitous and intrusive,
我不會直接指出來,因為那樣很沒必要,也不禮貌,
I thought I would tell you a few facts and stories, in which you may catch a glimpse of yourself.
我會列舉一些事實和情況,你們可以跟自己對照一下。
I'm in the field of research known as personality psychology,
我從事的是人格心理學研究,
which is part of a larger personality science which spans the full spectrum, from neurons to narratives.
它屬于人格科學的范疇,人格科學的研究領域跨度很大,從神經元到敘述學。
And what we try to do, in our own way, is to make sense of how each of us -- each of you --
而我們的研究方向是用我們的方式來弄清楚,為什么我們每一個人——在座的每一位——
is, in certain respects, like all other people, like some other people and like no other person.
在某些方面跟其他所有人都一樣,或者只跟部分人一樣,或者跟誰都不一樣。