That's the important thing, never to be owned.I know they don't own you. I know they don't own you.
這一點很重要,不要被哪一個雜志社管著。我知道,我知道你不歸他們管。
Money's the cheapest thing.
錢是最沒用的東西。
Liberty and freedom is the most expensive.
自由和自在才是最重要的。
No, you know what I mean, Richard.
你明白我的意思Richard.
So you asked me...about not falling into the traps of the rich.
你問過我…為什么我拍了這么多照片還沒有進入有錢人的行列。
I would think it was my first, uh, partner in my fashion business.
我總會想起我在時尚界的第一個合作伙伴…
A woman by the name of Rebekah Harkness, a very affluent New York family, and she was looking to invest in my hat shop and she did.
一個叫做Rebekah Harkness的女人,她家是一個非常富有的紐約家庭,她計劃著并最終給我的帽子店投了資。
But then the army came along...this is 1951...I was drafted.
但是1951年的時候開始征兵了,我應征入伍。
Well, they were appalled that I would go, and their investment would be on hold.
他們沒想到我會去參軍,對店里的投資就擱置了。
Who knows what would happen?
誰知道會發生什么事呢?
I was appalled at them.
我也沒想到他們會這樣。
I thought, "You're drafted. This is the country where you live, who you are. You go. "
我覺得,國家來征兵了。這是你的國家,你作為一個公民,就該去。
Well, they couldn't understand that at all.
他們并不是很理解我的做法。
Course I went in the army. I wouldn't think otherwise.
后來我去參軍了,沒什么別的想法。
They badgered me and they badgered my family, and finally...my aunt and uncle, whom I lived with here in the city,
他們勸我別去,還去找我的家人我的叔叔和嬸嬸,當時我和他們住在一起,
I think they returned the money she had invested which...God...Maybe it was a thousand dollars?
我覺得把她的投資還給她就好了大概是…一千美元?
Which was a lot of money then.
對他們來說是一大筆投資吧。
To the Harkness family, I don't think a thousand dollars was a lot of money.
對Harkness家族來說,我覺得一千美元不算什么錢。
Oh, they tried to have it...I know what it was...deducted from my army salary, which would have taken about ten years,
哦,我知道他們想要回那筆錢,如果用我當兵的錢一點點去還大概得十年,
'cause I don't know what you made...You got paid maybe $90 a month or something like that.Some stupidity.
那時大概每個月拿90美元。反正是些挺愚蠢的事。
So my family paid it off, and then when I got out of the army, I paid my family back.
我家里人幫我還清了這筆錢,當我退伍之后,我又賺了錢還給我家里。