But part of the reason
但另一方面的原因
and that's the reason why we have ethical ground for pursuing these
即從人類的本質上看,它們也是很有價值的,
is that they're also intrinsically valuable.
這也是為什么我們擁有追求這些特質的道德基礎。
It's just better to be able to understand more of the world around you
去理解你周圍的世界和人
and the people that you are communicating with,
以及記住所學的知識,
and to remember what you have learned.
能讓你變得更好。
Modalities and special faculties.
不同的模式和特殊能力.
Now, the human mind is not a single unitary information processor,
人類的思維并不是一個單一的信息處理器,
but it has a lot of different, special, evolved modules that do specific things for us.
相反,它擁有許多不同的、特殊的、已進化的模塊,這些模塊各司其職,為我們服務。
If you think about what we normally take as giving life a lot of its meaning --
想一下那些通常我們認為賦予生活許多意義的事物——
music, humor, eroticism, spirituality, aesthetics,
音樂、幽默、性愛、靈性、美學
nurturing and caring, gossip, chatting with people --
養育和關心、八卦、與他人聊天。
all of these, very likely, are enabled by a special circuitry that we humans have,
所有的這些,都類似的由一個特殊的、每個人都具備的電路所啟動,
but that you could have another intelligent life form that lacks these.
但很可能,另外一種智慧生命形態卻沒有這些裝置。
We're just lucky that we have the requisite neural machinery
我們只是幸運地擁有了這種必備的神經裝置
to process music and to appreciate it and enjoy it.
來處理音樂,欣賞它,并從中得到樂趣。
All of these would enable, in principle -- be amenable to enhancement.
所有的這些,從原則上說,都可以以某些方式改進。
Some people have a better musical ability and ability to appreciate music than others have.
有些人擁有比他人優秀的音樂能力及更好的音樂欣賞能力。
It's also interesting to think about what other things are --
如果想想其它事物的情況,那會很有意思
so if these all enabled great values,
那么,如果這些事物都能帶來寶貴的價值,
why should we think that evolution has happened to provide us
為什么我們要認為,這些模式,
with all the modalities we would need to engage with other values that there might be?
這些我們要用來與其他可能存在的價值體系來溝通的模式,是由進化湊巧提供的呢?