日韩色综合-日韩色中色-日韩色在线-日韩色哟哟-国产ts在线视频-国产suv精品一区二区69

手機APP下載

您現在的位置: 首頁 > 英語聽力 > 英語演講 > TED十佳演講話題 > 正文

TED十佳演講之尋找真理:我們的大問題(2)

來源:可可英語 編輯:max ?  可可英語APP下載 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  


掃描二維碼進行跟讀打分訓練

Existential risk -- the second big problem.

存在風險——第二個重大問題。
Existential risk is a threat to human survival, or to the long-term potential of our species.
存在風險是對人類生存,或對整個人類種群的長遠潛能的一種威脅。
Now, why do I say that this is a big problem?
為什么我會認為這是一個重大問題?
Well, let's first look at the probability --
讓我們來看看可能性——
and this is very, very difficult to estimate
這非常難估量
but there have been only four studies on this in recent years, which is surprising.
但近年來,這個領域只出現了四篇研究文章,這很讓人吃驚。
You would think that it would be of some interest
你可能會認為,既然厲害關系如此巨大,
to try to find out more about this given that the stakes are so big,
那么在這個領域做研究一定是有意義的。
but it's a very neglected area.
然而,這是一個被人們忽視的領域。

我們的大問題

But there have been four studies -- one by John Lesley, wrote a book on this.

但是,已經有了四篇研究——其中一篇由約翰·雷斯利所著,為這個問題寫了一本書。
He estimated a probability that we will fail to survive the current century: 50 percent.
據他估計,有50%的可能性我們會在這個世紀滅亡。
Similarly, the Astronomer Royal, whom we heard speak yesterday,
類似的,皇家天文學家--我們昨天聽過他的演講--
also has a 50 percent probability estimate.
的估算結果也是50%。
Another author doesn't give any numerical estimate,
另外一個作者并沒有給出任何數據估算,
but says the probability is significant that it will fail.
但他指出,人類滅亡的可能性非常高。
I wrote a long paper on this.
我就這個問題寫了一篇長篇論文
I said assigning a less than 20 percent probability would be a mistake in light of the current evidence we have.
我在文章里指出,根據現有的證據,任何低于20%的可能性估算都應該是錯誤的。
Now, the exact figures here, we should take with a big grain of salt,
對于這里的具體數字,我們不應該全盤相信,
but there seems to be a consensus that the risk is substantial.
但人們似乎對此達成共識,風險的確不小。
Everybody who has looked at this and studied it agrees.
每個看過并研究過這方面的人,都會同意。
Now, if we think about what just reducing
那么,如果我們考慮
the probability of human extinction by just one percentage point, not very much
將人類滅絕的可能性幾率只減少一個百分點,并不是很多
so that's equivalent to 60 million lives saved,
那就相當于拯救了六千萬的生命,
if we just count the currently living people, the current generation.
而這只是計算現存的人類,當代人口。
Now one percent of six billion people is equivalent to 60 million.
那么六十億人的百分之一相當于六千萬。
So that's a large number.
這是一個很大的數字。
If we were to take into account future generations
如果我們把未來的人口也算進來
that will never come into existence if we blow ourselves up,
如果我們把自己毀滅了,未來人口也永不會存在,
then the figure becomes astronomical.
那么這數字就變成天文數字了。
If we could eventually colonize a chunk of the universe -- the Virgo supercluster --
如果我們最終可以開拓宇宙的一角為生存地,比如室女座超星系團
maybe it will take us 100 million years to get there,
可能我們需要一億年才能到達那兒,
but if we go extinct we never will.
但如果我們滅亡了,我們永遠也到不了
Then, even a one percentage point reduction in the extinction risk
那么,即使是減少百分之一的滅絕風險,
could be equivalent to this astronomical number -- 10 to the power of 32.
那將等同于這個極為龐大的數字——10的32次方。
So if you take into account future generations as much as our own,
那么,如果你像關心我們自己一樣關心我們的后代,
every other moral imperative of philanthropic cost just becomes irrelevant.
所有其他基于道義責任的慈善都變得無關緊要。
The only thing you should focus on would be to reduce existential risk
你所應該關注的唯一事情就是減少生存風險
because even the tiniest decrease in existential risk
因為即使只減少極少的一點生存風險,
would just overwhelm any other benefit you could hope to achieve.
其帶來的好處也可以覆蓋其它任何你希望獲得的利益。
And even if you just look at the current people,
另外,如果你僅僅關注現在的人類,
and ignore the potential that would be lost if we went extinct,
而忽略那些一旦我們滅絕后可能失去的潛能,
it should still have a high priority.
減少存在風險也仍舊值得優先考慮。

重點單詞   查看全部解釋    
priority [prai'ɔriti]

想一想再看

n. 優先權,優先順序,優先

 
threat [θret]

想一想再看

n. 威脅,兇兆
vt. 威脅, 恐嚇

 
astronomer [ə'strɔnəmə]

想一想再看

n. 天文學家

 
equivalent [i'kwivələnt]

想一想再看

adj. 等價的,相等的
n. 相等物

聯想記憶
achieve [ə'tʃi:v]

想一想再看

v. 完成,達到,實現

 
universe ['ju:nivə:s]

想一想再看

n. 宇宙,萬物,世界

聯想記憶
eventually [i'ventjuəli]

想一想再看

adv. 終于,最后

 
ignore [ig'nɔ:]

想一想再看

vt. 不顧,不理,忽視

聯想記憶
consensus [kən'sensəs]

想一想再看

n. 共識,一致,合意
n. [生理]交感

聯想記憶
current ['kʌrənt]

想一想再看

n. (水、氣、電)流,趨勢
adj. 流通的

聯想記憶
?
發布評論我來說2句

    最新文章

    可可英語官方微信(微信號:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英語學習資料.

    添加方式1.掃描上方可可官方微信二維碼。
    添加方式2.搜索微信號ikekenet添加即可。
    主站蜘蛛池模板: 生死搏斗| 我妻子的一切 电影| 童女之舞| 朱莉娅·奥蒙德| 面包王金卓求电视剧免费观看| 小姐诱心在线| 东方电视台节目表今日节目| 老司机免费在线观看| 电影《此时此刻》| 杨东波| 乔什布洛林| 印度电影《情罪》免费观看中文| 违规吃喝研讨发言材料| 实时| 辰巳ゆい| 四川影视文艺频道| 陕09j01图集| jayden jaymes| james deen| 爱的重生| 看黄色录像播放| 香港之夜免费观看视频完整版| 安全管理论文| 女女女爱| 黄鸟电影| 二胡独奏北国之春| 一个国家的诞生| 赫伯曼电影免费观看| 日本电车系列| 骨妹| 一级毛片色一级| 教师政治学习笔记| 曹查理林雅诗电影全集| 张柏芝照片| 77316电影| 给我| 哥斯| 夜魔电影| 潜行在线观看| 羞羞答答av| 同性gay在线|