OK, now, you all saw what changed, right?
好,你們都看到了什么東西改變了,對吧?
How many of you noticed that every one of those squares changed color?
有多少人注意到每一個方塊都變了顏色?
Every one. I'll just show you by running it again.
每個都變了。我來重放一下。
Even when you know that they're all going to change color, it's very hard to notice.
即使你們都知道他們要變顏色了,那也很難被注意到。
You have to really concentrate to pick up any of the changes at all.
你需要完全地集中注意力以發現任何變化。
Now, this is an example -- one of many -- of a phenomenon that's now being studied quite a bit.
這是許多例子中的一個,關于我們已經有很多研究的一個現象。
It's one that I predicted in the last page or two of my 1991 book, "Consciousness Explained,"
它是我在我書的最后幾頁預言過的我在1991年的書,“意識的解釋,”
where I said if you did experiments of this sort,
我說如果你有過這種經歷,
you'd find that people were unable to pick up really large changes.
你會發現人們不能發現真正的大改變。
If there's time at the end, I'll show you the much more dramatic case.
如果最后還剩時間,我會展示更多富有戲劇性的例子。
Now, how can it be that there are all those changes going on, and that we're not aware of them?
為什么到處都在發生這樣的改變,而我們卻意識不到?
Well, earlier today, Jeff Hawkins mentioned the way your eye saccades,
今天早些時候,Jeff Hawkins提到了眼睛是如何掃視的,
the way your eye moves around three or four times a second.
也就是眼睛一秒鐘移動三到四次。
He didn't mention the speed.
他沒有提到速度。
Your eye is constantly in motion, moving around, looking at eyes, noses, elbows,
你的眼睛一直在運動,四處運動,看著眼睛、鼻子、手肘,
looking at interesting things in the world.
看著這世上有趣的東西。
And where your eye isn't looking, you're remarkably impoverished in your vision.
在你眼睛沒有看到的地方,你的視野特別貧乏。
That's because the foveal part of your eye, which is the high-resolution part,
這是因為你眼睛的中央凹部分,也就是高分辨率的部分,
is only about the size of your thumbnail held at arms length.
只有大拇指甲在一臂長處看起來那么大。
That's the detail part.
那就是有細節的部分。
It doesn't seem that way, does it?
看起來好像不是這樣對吧?
It doesn't seem that way, but that's the way it is.
看起來不是這么回事,但它就是。
You're getting in a lot less information than you think.
你接收到的信息遠比你想象的少。
Here's a completely different effect. This is a painting by Bellotto.
這里有一個截然不同的效果。這是Bellotto的一幅油畫。
It's in the museum in North Carolina.
它被藏于北卡羅來納州博物館。
Bellotto was a student of Canaletto's.
Bellotto是Canaletto的學生。
And I love paintings like that -- the painting is actually about as big as it is right here.
我喜歡那樣的油畫--像這樣大的油畫。
And I love Canalettos, because Canaletto has this fantastic detail,
我也喜歡Canalettos,因為 Canaletto的作品對細節處理巧妙,
and you can get right up and see all the details on the painting.
我們可以細細地觀察油畫的細節。
And I started across the hall in North Carolina,
我穿過北卡博物館的那個大廳,
because I thought it was probably a Canaletto, and would have all that in detail.
因為我想可能是Canaletto的作品,所以會有那些細節。
And I noticed that on the bridge there, there's a lot of people
然后我注意到那邊的橋,有非常多的人
you can just barely see them walking across the bridge.
你似乎可以看到他們從橋上走過。
And I thought as I got closer
我想著如果我走近一點
I would be able to see all the detail of most people, see their clothes, and so forth.
我就可以看到更多人物細節,看到他們的衣服等等。
And as I got closer and closer, I actually screamed.
實際上,當我越來越近的時候,我叫了出來。
I yelled out because when I got closer, I found the detail wasn't there at all.
我叫是因為當我靠近時,我發現那里其實沒有細節。
There were just little artfully placed blobs of paint.
那里只有巧妙放置的顏料粒。
And as I walked towards the picture, I was expecting detail that wasn't there.
而當我走近那幅畫時,我在期待不存在的細節。