Now, that's the way a lot of people feel about consciousness.
好了,那就是很多人對意識的感覺。
Real consciousness is not a bag of tricks.
真正的意識不是魔術師的口袋
If you're going to explain this as a bag of tricks,
如果你把它解釋為魔術師的口袋,
then it's not real consciousness, whatever it is.
那它就不是真正的意識,不管它是什么。
And, as Marvin said, and as other people have said, "Consciousness is a bag of tricks."
可是,Marvin和其他的人說,“意識是魔術師的口袋。”
This means that a lot of people are just left
這意味著很多人
completely dissatisfied and incredulous when I attempt to explain consciousness.
會感到不滿和懷疑,在我嘗試解釋意識的時候。
So this is the problem.
所以,這就是個問題。
So I have to do a little bit of the sort of work that a lot of you won't like,
我需要做一點點嘗試,你們很多人不會喜歡它,
for the same reason that you don't like to see a magic trick explained to you.
因為你們不愿意看到魔術被揭秘。
How many of you here, if somebody -- some smart aleck --
在座有多少人,在別人,一些自作聰明的人,
starts telling you how a particular magic trick is done,
開始揭露魔術的秘密時,
you sort of want to block your ears and say, "No, no, I don't want to know!
你們想要塞上耳朵然后說,“不,不,我不想知道!
Don't take the thrill of it away. I'd rather be mystified. Don't tell me the answer."
不要破壞它的刺激。我寧愿被蒙在鼓里。不要告訴我答案?!?/div>
A lot of people feel that way about consciousness, I've discovered.
我發現,很多人對待意識是這樣的態度。
And I'm sorry if I impose some clarity, some understanding on you.
所以我對給你們做的分析和解釋感到抱歉。
You'd better leave now if you don't want to know some of these tricks.
如果你不想了解這些思維的秘密,最好現在就離開。
But I'm not going to explain it all to you.
不過我也不會向你們解釋所有。
I'm going to do what philosophers do.
我會做哲學家所做的。
Here's how a philosopher explains the sawing-the-lady-in-half trick.
哲學家如何解釋將女士鋸成兩半的魔術呢。
You know the sawing-the-lady-in-half trick?
你們知道將人鋸成兩半的魔術吧?
The philosopher says, "I'm going to explain to you how that's done.
哲學家說,“我來解釋那是怎么做到的。
You see, the magician doesn't really saw the lady in half."
你看,魔術師并沒有真正把那位女士鋸成兩半?!?/div>
"He merely makes you think that he does."
“他僅僅是讓你們以為他這樣做了?!?/div>
And you say, "Yes, and how does he do that?"
然后他說 “是啊,他怎么做到呢?”
He says, "Oh, that's not my department, I'm sorry."
他說,“喔,那不是我的研究范圍,不好意思。”
So now I'm going to illustrate how philosophers explain consciousness.
現在我將描述哲學家是如何解釋意識的。
But I'm going to try to also show you that consciousness isn't quite as marvelous
我也將向你們展示意識并不是那么神奇
your own consciousness isn't quite as wonderful as you may have thought it is.
你的意識并不像你所設想的那么神奇。
This is something, by the way, that Lee Siegel talks about in his book.
順便說,這就是 Lee Siegal在他的書中所談到的事情。
He marvels at how he'll do a magic show,
他的魔術表演非常神奇,
and afterwards people will swear they saw him do X, Y, and Z.
所以有些人發誓目睹他曾做過甲事、乙事還有丙事。
He never did those things.
但其實他從來沒做過。
He didn't even try to do those things.
他甚至都沒有嘗試過。
People's memories inflate what they think they saw.
當人們認為看到了的時候,他們的記憶就會自以為是。
And the same is true of consciousness.
意識也是這樣。
Now, let's see if this will work. All right. Let's just watch this. Watch it carefully.
現在,讓我們看看這個。仔細看。
I'm working with a young computer-animator documentarian named Nick Deamer,
我在和一個年輕的計算機動畫紀錄片專家合作,他的名字叫Nick Deamer。
and this is a little demo that he's done for me,
這是他幫我做的一個小演示,
part of a larger project some of you may be interested in.
是你們或許會感興趣的大項目中的一小部分。
We're looking for a backer.
我們在尋求贊助。
It's a feature-length documentary on consciousness.
是一部關于意識的正片長度紀錄片
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
merely | ['miəli] |
想一想再看 adv. 僅僅,只不過 |
||
clarity | ['klæriti] |
想一想再看 n. 清楚,透明 |
||
consciousness | ['kɔnʃəsnis] |
想一想再看 n. 意識,知覺,自覺,覺悟 |
聯想記憶 | |
dissatisfied | [,dis'sætisfaid] |
想一想再看 adj. 不滿意的;不高興的;流露不滿的 v. 使不滿( |
||
marvelous | ['mɑ:viləs] |
想一想再看 adj. 令人驚異的,了不起的,不平常的 |
||
smart | [smɑ:t] |
想一想再看 adj. 聰明的,時髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,輕快的,整潔的 |
||
impose | [im'pəuz] |
想一想再看 v. 加上,課征,強迫,征收(稅款) |
聯想記憶 | |
particular | [pə'tikjulə] |
想一想再看 adj. 特殊的,特別的,特定的,挑剔的 |
聯想記憶 | |
inflate | [in'fleit] |
想一想再看 v. 使膨脹,使得意,使通貨膨脹 [計算機] 使膨脹 |
||
documentary | [.dɔkju'mentəri] |
想一想再看 adj. 文獻的 |

- 閱讀本文的人還閱讀了: