He was a clergyman, incumbent of Hay — that little village yonder on the hill — and that church near the gates was his.
他是個牧師,是海村的 — 那邊山上的那個小村 — 靠近大門的那個教堂是他管的。
The present Mr. Rochester's mother was a Fairfax, and second cousin to my husband.
現在這位羅切斯特的母親是費爾法克斯家的人,她的父親和我丈夫的父親是堂兄弟。
But I never presume on the connection — in fact, it is nothing to me.
但我從來沒有指望這層關系,其實這與我無關。
I consider myself quite in the light of an ordinary housekeeper.
我把自己看作一個普普通通的管家。
My employer is always civil, and I expect nothing more.
我的雇主總是客客氣氣的,而別的我都不指望了。
And the little girl — my pupil!
那么,那位小姑娘呢 — 我的學生?
She is Mr. Rochester's ward.
她是羅切斯特先生的受監護人。
He commissioned me to find a governess for her.
他委托我替她找個家庭教師。
He intended to have her brought up in —shire, I believe.
我想他有意將她在××郡養育大。
Here she comes, with her 'bonne,' as she calls her nurse.
瞧她來了,同她稱作‘bonne’的保姆一起來了。
The enigma then was explained.
謎被揭開了。

This affable and kind little widow was no great dame, but a dependant like myself.
這個和藹善良的矮小寡婦不是位大貴婦,而是像我一樣的寄生者。
I did not like her the worse for that.
但我并沒有因此而不喜歡她。
On the contrary, I felt better pleased than ever.
相反,我感到了從未有過的愉快。
The equality between her and me was real; not the mere result of condescension on her part.
她與我之間的平等是實實在在的,不是她屈尊就駕的結果。
So much the better — my position was all the freer.
這樣倒更好,我的處境就更自由了。
As I was meditating on this discovery, a little girl, followed by her attendant, came running up the lawn.
我還在沉思著這個新發現時,一個小女孩由她的侍候者陪著,向草坪這邊奔跑過來了。
I looked at my pupil, who did not at first appear to notice me.
我瞧了一眼我的學生,她開始并沒有注意到我。
She was quite a child, perhaps seven or eight years old,
她十足是個孩子,大約七、八歲,
slightly built, with a pale, small-featured face, and a redundancy of hair falling in curls to her waist.
個頭瘦小,臉色蒼白,五官很小,一頭累贅的卷發直披到腰上。
"Good morning, Miss Adela," said Mrs. Fairfax.
“早上好,阿德拉小姐,”費爾法克斯太太說,
"Come and speak to the lady who is to teach you, and to make you a clever woman some day."
“過來同這位小姐說說話,她會教你讀書,讓你有一天成為聰明的女人?!?/div>
She approached.
她走近了。
"C' est le ma gouverante!" said she, pointing to me, and addressing her nurse who answered: "Mais oui, certainement."
她指著我對她的保姆說:"這是我的家庭教師!"保姆回答:“當然是的(法語)?!?/div>
"Are they foreigners?" I inquired, amazed at hearing the French language.
“他們都是外國人嗎?”我聽到他們講法語,便吃驚地問道。
The nurse is a foreigner, and Adela was born on the Continent.
保姆是個外國人,而阿德拉卻是生在大陸上的。
And, I believe, never left it till within six months ago.
而且我相信除了六個月前的一次,她從來沒有離開過大陸。
When she first came here she could speak no English.
她初到這兒來的時候,一句英語也不會說。
Now she can make shift to talk it a little.
現在倒能轉過來講一點了。
I don't understand her, she mixes it so with French.
她把英語和法語混著講,我聽不懂。
But you will make out her meaning very well, I dare say.
我想你會把她的意思搞得很清楚的。
Fortunately I had had the advantage of being taught French by a French lady.
幸好我得益于曾拜一個法國太太為師,學過法語。
And as I had always made a point of conversing with Madame Pierrot as often as I could.
那時我下了決心抓緊一切機會同皮埃羅夫人交談。
And had besides, during the last seven years, learnt a portion of French by heart daily,
此外,過去七年來還堅持每天背誦一段法語,在語調上狠下功夫,
applying myself to take pains with my accent, and imitating as closely as possible the pronunciation of my teacher,
逼真地模仿我老師的發音,
I had acquired a certain degree of readiness and correctness in the language,
因而我的法語已經相當流利和準確,
and was not likely to be much at a loss with Mademoiselle Adela.
不至于聽不懂阿德拉小姐說的話。
She came and shook hand with me when she heard that I was her governess.
她聽說我是她的家庭教師,便走過來同我握手。
And as I led her in to breakfast, I addressed some phrases to her in her own tongue.
我領她進去吃早飯,又用她自己的語言說了幾句。
She replied briefly at first, but after we were seated at the table,
起初她回答得很簡短,但等我們在桌旁坐定,
and she had examined me some ten minutes with her large hazel eyes, she suddenly commenced chattering fluently.
她用淡褐色的大眼睛審視了我十來分鐘之后,突然嘰嘰喳喳地說開了。
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201607/452196.shtml