One of the key problems for the British pupils has been the large mixed ability class.
對英國學生來說,最嚴重的問題是,不同能力的學生們身處在同一個大班級里
Most British schools put pupils in different sets according to their performance,
大部分英國學校會將學生按照成績分不同班級
but not in China.
但中國不會
Yes, we're doing trigonometry!
太好了,我們要上三角函數
No! Oh, my God, you're the most frustrating person on the earth.
不!老天,你真是這世上最掃興的人
So, what is trigonometry?
所以,什么是三角函數
Dicking around with triangles.
瞎研究各種三角形
Angle. This is the relation between angle and sides, right?
角度。這是角和邊的關系,對嗎
The hand-out, the consolidation paper.
發給你們的講義是鞏固練習

Mr. Zou has been setting extra homework for the higher-performing students,
鄒老師一直在給成績好的學生布置額外的家庭作業
and they seem to be relishing the Chinese style of teaching.
他們似乎很享受中式教育
Cos that, that's two and that's two.
這是二,這也是二
Do two times two and then not divide it by two, because you've got two triangles.
二乘二,然后不除二。因為有兩個三角形
Or you can do four times two, divided by two.
或者也可以四乘二,再除以二
Both ways, you get the same answer.
兩種方法,算出來的結果是一樣的
What I'm doing is try to encourage and enforce,
我所做的是想試著鼓勵和強調
"You are very talented in maths."
"你在數學上很有天賦"
I provide challenging homework for you.
我給你布置有挑戰性的作業
You do more, and you learn more.
你做的越多,學的就越多
And then you can keep on being the top, on the top.
你就可以一直保持領先的優勢
So that's a way to build confidence.
這是一種建立自信的方式
This is adjacent. What you need to do is label the sides.
這是鄰邊。你們要做的就是弄明白這些邊是哪條邊
Zero minus two degree.
負2度
I think his style of teaching suits a very small number of clever and determined people.
我覺得他的教學方式只適合很小一部分聰明努力的人
How do we explain seven three?
我們要怎么解釋(7,3)
I try my best to listen in his maths lessons.
我很努力地去聽他的數學課
But he doesn't really stop to think about you, he just keeps going through his boring lesson.
但他不會為了你停下來,他只是繼續上他那無聊的課
Centre, scale factor.
中心,比例系數
At Bohunt, Rosie is in one of the lower sets for maths.
在博航特,羅茜是數學差生之一
Sir, I don't get it.
老師,我不懂
Let's...one by one, OK? Can you get the first one?
我們一個個來,好嗎,第一題懂嗎
Yeah. I just don't know what I'm doing, at all.
不懂,我完全不懂我在做什么
You can get the first one. Look at that.
第一題你會做的,看
Yeah, but I'm not going to learn if I keep copying. I don't know what I'm doing.
如果一直讓我抄筆記,我根本什么都學不會,我不懂我在寫什么
Just use the definition.
套定義就好
It's really difficult to sit there and have to listen to people tell you what you find hard is easy.
我真的難以坐在那里,聽別人告訴你,你覺得難的東西很簡單
And that you should get it, when you don't.
你應該能懂的,可是你不懂
That is H, A, that's the opposite, so that's O. So now...
這是斜邊,鄰邊,這是內角相對的邊,所以是對邊。所以現在...
I get really affected by the fact that when others can do stuff and I can't.
別人都會做,但我不會,這個事實讓我很受挫
I still get so angry with myself.
我真的很生我自己的氣
And it is like, really hard to sit there and have to like,
坐在那里聽別人講三角函數
listen to them talking about trigonometry when you can't even draw a triangle.
而你連三角形都畫不來,這真的很難受