He fell ill in Switzerland.When he came back, he was on a ventilator.
他在瑞士生病了 他回來的時候戴著呼吸機
Because he's on a ventilator, you've got a tube down your throat and therefore you can't speak, just for that reason.
因為他戴著呼吸機 要把管子插到喉嚨里 所以就不能說話了
For that period, which may have been a couple of months
那段時期 可能是兩個月
I spent probably one in two nights, one in three nights, at the hospital
我每兩天或每三天會在醫院里呆一夜
because when he was in hospital he couldn't communicate with the nurses.
因為他在醫院里 沒法和護士交流
It's not just like being seriously ill but you're in a position where the nurses couldn't understand what Stephen wanted.
雖然不像是什么大病 但是護士不能理解 史蒂芬的需求
If Stephen was uncomfortable, they couldn't tell why.
如果史蒂芬不舒服 他們不知道是為什么
Before I caught pneumonia my speech had been getting more slurred so that only a few people who knew me Well could understand me.
在我得肺炎之前 我說話越來越含糊不清 所以很少有人能很清楚地理解我 了解我
But at least I could communicate.I wrote scientific papers by dictating to a secretary and I gave seminars through an interpreter.
但是至少我能夠交流 我以向秘書口述的方式來寫論文 并且通過翻譯參加研討會
And then, a tracheostomy operation removed my ability to speak altogether.
后來 一個氣管改造手術 讓我完全失去了說話的能力
After a long time... well, it seemed like a long time somebody came up with this brilliant gadget.
之后的很長一段時間 好吧 看起來是很長時間 有人想出這個絕妙的小發明
They didn't have it at the Cambridge hospital.They got it from somewhere in London.
劍橋醫院里沒有這東西 他們從倫敦的什么地方拿到了
This was high technology how you can communicate with a person with no voice.
這是個高科技 你不用出聲就可以與人交流
It's a plastic piece of Perspex about so big and you've got the letters of the alphabet arranged like that,and a hole in the middle.
它是有機玻璃的 大概這么大 你能看到字母像這樣排列著 中間有個洞
You hold it up between you and the other person.
朝著別人舉著它
They look at a letter, and you can see which letter they're looking at most of the time. Sometimes you can't be sure.
他們看一個字母時 你能知道他們看的是哪個字母 絕大多數都行 有時也不能確定
So you would get the patient to spell out what they wanted.
所以你要有耐心來拼出想要說的話
So each letter... they have to look to pick out the A.
每一個字母 你必須看著挑選出A
You say, "A?" Did you get it right? It's like a guessing game.
你說"A" 你明白了嗎 就像個猜字游戲