People in the contracting phase would live their lives backward.
在收縮階段人們會倒著活
They would die before they were born and get younger as the universe got small again.
他們會死在出生之前 當宇宙縮小 能再獲青春
Eventually, they would return to the womb.He gave me my first problem to do.
最終回到子宮 頭一次 他給我留了一個問題
He asked me to look at this mathematical problem.
他讓我看看這個數學問題
Usually when he gives a problem, he has a good idea of what the answer should be.
通常當他給出一個問題 他的腦海里 會有答案的大概樣子
I went to look at it, and it took me a few months to understand what it was about,
我看了一下 花了我幾個月 來理解這是什么東西
and I came back and said, I get this answer.
然后回來說 我知道答案了
And he said to me, No, that is not what I expected.
他對我說 不 這不是我所期望的
I said, That's what I get.So I went to the blackboard, explained what it was.
我說 這就是我得到的 所以我走向黑板 解釋它是什么
He said, Did you think about that particular case?I said, No, I didn't.
他說 考慮特殊情況了嗎 我說 沒考慮
So I went back and I calculated what he'd talked to me about.
所以我又回去了 然后計算他告訴我的東西
I came back a few weeks after, and I said,Stephen, I don't get this thing.
在我回去的一個星期后 我說 史蒂芬 我得不到這些東西
I still get the same answer I had originally.So he said to me, "No, no, no, no.
我仍然得出了一開始的答案 所以他對我說 不不不
This doesn't work. Did you think about that?I said, "Oh, no. I'd forgotten about that particular case.
這沒用 你想過那些東西 我說 不 我忘了考慮特殊情況
So I went back to the drawing board and started calculating again and again I got the same answer.
所以我回去重新開始計算 再一次 我得到了相同的答案
So I went back to see Stephen, and this dragged on for two or three months.
所以我又回來見史蒂芬 這拖延了兩三個月
Finally he said to me Maybe one of your approximations is not valid.
最后他對我說 可能你的某一個近似是無效的
So me and a colleague decided to do the thing with computers.
所以我和我的同事決定用計算機做這件事
This takes a lot of time to Write the programs and to be sure the program was correct.
這花了大把時間來寫程序 還要確定程序是正確的
We get the answer, and it was still the way I'd said before
我們得到答案 仍然和我之前說的一樣
and not the way Stephen said, so we went to see Stephen and said,You see? Again.
而不是史蒂芬說的那種 所以我們去見史蒂芬 說 看到了嗎 還是這樣