把這孩子放上去。
And I was placed there, by whom I don't know.
我被抱到了凳子上,是誰抱的,我并不知道。
I was in no condition to note particulars.
我已經不可能去注意細枝末節了。
I was only aware that they had hoisted me up to the height of Mr. Brocklehurst's nose,
我只知道他們把我擺到了跟布羅克赫斯特先生鼻子一般高的地方;知道他離我只有一碼遠;
that he was within a yard of me, and that a spread of shot orange and purple silk pelisses and a cloud of silvery plumage extended and waved below me.
知道在我下面,一片桔黃色和紫色的閃緞飾皮外衣和濃霧般銀色的羽毛在擴展,在飄拂。
Mr. Brocklehurst hemmed.
布羅克赫斯特先生清了清嗓子。
"Ladies," said he, turning to his family, "Miss Temple, teachers, and children, you all see this girl?"
“女士們,”他說著轉向他的家人,“坦普爾小姐,教師們和孩子們,你們都看到了這個女孩子了吧?”
Of course they did, for I felt their eyes directed like burning-glasses against my scorched skin.
她們當然是看到了。我覺到她們的眼睛像凸透鏡那樣對準了我燒灼的皮膚。
You see she is yet young.
你們瞧,她還很小。

You observe she possesses the ordinary form of childhood.
你們看到了,她的外貌與一般孩子沒有什么兩樣。
God has graciously given her the shape that He has given to all of us.
上帝仁慈地把賜與我們大家的外形,一樣賜給了她。
No signal deformity points her out as a marked character.
沒有什么明顯的殘疾表明她是個特殊人物。
Who would think that the Evil One had already found a servant and agent in her?
誰能想到魔鬼已經在她身上找到了一個奴仆和代理人呢?
Yet such, I grieve to say, is the case.
而我痛心地說,這就是事實。
A pause - in which I began to steady the palsy of my nerves, and to feel that the Rubicon was passed.
他又停頓了一下。在這間隙,我開始讓自己緊張的神經穩定下來,并覺得魯比孔河已經渡過。
And that the trial, no longer to be shirked, must be firmly sustained.
既然審判已無法回避,那就只得硬著頭去忍受了。
"My dear children," pursued the black marble clergyman, with pathos, "this is a sad, a melancholy occasion."
“我的可愛的孩子們,”這位黑大理石般的牧師悲切地繼續說下去,“這是一個悲哀而令人憂傷的場合。”
For it becomes my duty to warn you, that this girl, who might be one of God's own lambs, is a little castaway,
因為我有責任告誡大家,這個本可以成為上帝自己羔羊的女孩子,是個小小的被遺棄者,
not a member of the true flock, but evidently an interloper and an alien.
不屬于真正的羊群中的一員,而顯然是一個闖入者,一個異己。
You must be on your guard against her. You must shun her example.
你們必須提防她,不要學她樣子。
If necessary, avoid her company, exclude her from your sports, and shut her out from your converse.
必要的話避免與她作伴,不要同她一起游戲,不要與她交談。
Teachers, you must watch her: keep your eyes on her movements, weigh well her words, scrutinise her actions, punish her body to save her soul.
教師們,你們必須看住她,注意她的行蹤,掂量她的話語,監視她的行動,懲罰她的肉體以拯救她的靈魂。
If, indeed, such salvation be possible, for (my tongue falters while I tell it) this girl, this child, the native of a Christian land,
如果有可能挽救的話,因為(我實在說不出口),這個姑娘,這個孩子,基督國土上的本地子民,
worse than many a little heathen who says its prayers to Brahma and kneels before Juggernaut - this girl is - a liar!”
比很多向梵天祈禱,向訖里什那神像跪拜的小異教徒還壞,這個女孩子是一個——說謊者!