So I think the human mind and the meaning it creates...
因此我認為人類的心靈與其所創造的意義
arise from a large complex system operating to very simple rules.
來自一個復雜的大型系統 且根據相當簡單的運作法則
Which means Descartes was right.
也就是說 笛卡爾是對的
The body and mind are different.
肉體與靈魂是不同的
The body and the brain are made out of physical matter.
身體和大腦是由實體物質構成的
The mind is a product of the ever-changing state of this matter.
心靈則是這些物質千變萬化下的產物
Our body is the hardware.
我們的身體就是硬件
Our mind is the software.
我們的心靈則是軟件
Just like the software that allows me to speak these words.
如同讓我說出這些話的軟件
But this does pose a problem:
但這又提出了一個問題
the problem of free will.
自由意志的問題
When I was a young man,my father wanted me to become a doctor like him.
當我還年輕時 我父親希望我像他一樣成為醫生
But I chose to study physics instead.
但我反而選擇研究物理學
Looking back,I'm pleased because as things worked out
回首過去 我很滿意 因為就現在的情況來看
I would have made a pretty useless doctor.
我也沒辦法行醫
So I made the right choice.
因此我的決定是正確的
Or did I choose at all?
但真的是我自己選擇的嗎?
Perhaps I am deluded about my own free will.
也許我被自己的自由意志蒙騙了
After all,if my mind follows the strict rules of nature
畢竟 我的心智若依據嚴謹的自然法則
maybe the path I chose was predetermined.
或許我選擇的道路早已決定了