Over the past seven years, I've been following my fascination with the built environment,
在過去的七年里,我一直在追隨著我對建筑環境的興趣,
and for those of you who know me, you would say that this obsession has led me to live out of a suitcase 365 days a year.
并且對你們當中了解我的人,你們會說這種癡迷使我一年365天提著行李生活。
Being constantly on the move means that sometimes I am able to catch life's most unpredictable moments,
一直四處奔波意味著有時我可以抓住生活中最不可預測的時刻,
like here in New York the day after the Sandy storm hit the city.
比如在紐約這里在桑迪颶風襲擊城市后的一天。
Just over three years ago,
正好在三年前,
I was for the first time in Caracas, Venezuela,
我第一次來到委內瑞拉的加拉加斯,
and while flying over the city, I was just amazed by the extent to which the slums reach into every corner of the city,
當飛機飛過城市上方時,我很驚訝于這里的貧民窟已經遍布了城市的每個角落,
a place where nearly 70 percent of the population lives in slums,
一個百分之七十的居民生活在貧民窟里的地方,
draped literally all over the mountains.
貧民窟滿山遍野的搭建著。
During a conversation with local architects Urban-Think Tank,
在和當地的城市設計智庫的談話中,
I learned about the Torre David,
我了解到托雷·大衛,
a 45-story office building which sits right in the center of Caracas.
一個45層高的辦公樓,坐落在加拉加斯的中心。
The building was under construction until the collapse of the Venezuelan economy and the death of the developer in the early '90s.
這個高樓一直在施工,直到90年代初委內瑞拉經濟大崩盤并且設計者去世。
About eight years ago, people started moving into the abandoned tower and began to build their homes right in between every column of this unfinished tower.
大概八年前,人們開始搬進被廢棄的大樓里并開始在這個未完工的大樓的每個間隙里搭建他們自己的房子。