It's beautiful, they said, "We're so happy because we have
很美好,她們說,我們很幸福因為我們
"stability and peace, we can eat things, we can do what we want,
有穩定和平的環境,有東西吃,可以做自己想做的事
"and for people who are retired now, we don't have to worry about instability in society.
對退休的人來說,我們不用擔心社會不安定
"We can go out and walk, whatever, we are not afraid to be mugged.
我們可以出去溜達,無論如何,我們不擔心會被搶劫
"Food is abundant."
食物很充足
She said, "It's great, we've never had it so good.
她說,很好,我們從來沒覺得這么好過
"The level of happiness is incredibly high."
幸福感極高
Before, even if you had money,
從前,即使你有錢
there's nothing to buy, you have to queue up to buy nothing,
你也買不到東西,你必須排隊等,但卻買不到
she said, you couldn't buy anything.
她說,你買不到任何東西
And she said, "We have such peace and we can buy anything we want,
她還說,現在生活安寧,可以買任何想買的東西
"we can eat," she said, "Now we worry about getting fat!"
我們可以吃,現在我們擔心會發胖
Not worried about not having enough to eat, but getting fat.
不是擔心吃不飽而是擔心會發胖
You couldn't buy anything, it was like wartime.
你什么都不能買,那就像戰時一樣

For dinner, I'm making an authentic sweet and sour pork,
正餐,我要做一道正宗的糖醋肉
nothing like the sugary, glowing, red version available in the West.
和西方甜膩,鮮艷,紅色的版本完全不同
I'm just going to do a sort of typical Chinese marinade, which is a little bit of soy sauce.
我現在要做的是一種典型的中國鹵汁,加一點醬油
And this is an interesting rice wine which I've never seen,
還有這是我一種從未見過的有趣的米酒
because rice wine will just add a bit of flavour.
米酒只是用來添一點味兒
I thought this might be very nice in the sweet and sour,
我想這個放在糖醋里大概會很不錯
which is very unusual - mangosteen, which is really lovely.
它非常特別,山竹果,非常可愛
Mangosteens are hard to get in the West,
山竹果在西方很難買到
so if you want to make this dish at home, use pineapple,
所以如果你想在家做這道菜,用菠蘿替代
or try experimenting with other fruit to give the dish its sweet flavour.
或者可以嘗試用一下其他水果為這道菜增加甜味
And this is just some pear apple, which will give a texture.
這個是蘋果梨,可以增添口感
I'm also adding water chestnuts and young garlic, which look a lot like spring onions.
我還要放入些荸薺和青蒜,青蒜看起來和蔥很像
I'm quickly frying the marinated pork with vegetable oil to seal in the flavours.
我把鹵汁浸過的豬肉用菜籽油快速翻炒一下,封住它的香味
Everywhere you go in Canton they use this very mild red chilli
你去廣東的任何地方,他們會在很多菜里
in many of their dishes, so I thought I'd do the same.
用很溫和的紅辣椒,所以我也想這樣做
Along with the chillies, young garlic, and water chestnuts,
和這些菜椒一起的,還有新鮮大蒜,和菱角
I'm adding a splash of rice vinegar, which gives the dish its sourness.
我加了一點米醋,它賦予這道菜酸味
I'm going to add a little bit of the stock that I made
我要加一點我之前
with bits of pork and a little bit of chicken stock.
用豬肉和雞做出來的高湯
This is just sugar.
這是糖
Now we're just going to thicken the sauce with a little bit of corn flour and water.
現在我們開始讓醬汁變得濃一點,放一點玉米粉和水
After a quick taste, add the fruit -
嘗一下后,加一些水果
Asian pears, pineapple and mangosteen, followed by the pork.
亞洲梨,菠蘿和山竹果,接著放入豬肉
She said, "You're a bright boy!"
她說,你是個聰明男孩!
Nobody's ever called me a boy for a long time.
很久沒有人叫過我男孩了