I'm a video game addict,
我是一個游戲愛好者,
and it's not because of a certain number of hours I have spent playing,
不僅僅是因為我花好多時間來玩游戲
or nights I have gone without sleep to finish the next level.
也不是因為無數個夜晚里為了通關而通宵達旦
It is because I have had life-altering experiences in virtual space,
是因為我在那個虛擬世界里有另外一條生命
and video games had begun to erode my own understanding of what is real and what is not.
電子游戲已經開始改變我對世界的理解什么是真實的,什么不是
I'm addicted, because even though I know I'm losing my grip on reality,
我對游戲著迷,因為即使我已經控制不了現實
I still crave more.
我卻期望更多
From an early age I learned to invest myself emotionally in what unfolded before me on screen.
從很小時候,我就開始學習對屏幕上發生的事情產生真實的情感
Today, after 20 years of watching TV geared to make me emotional,
今天,在看過20年的電視以后
even a decent insurance commercial can bring tears to my eyes.
甚至一個好的保險廣告都能讓我流淚
I am just one of a new generation that is growing up.
我只是成長中的新一代中的一員
A generation who may experience much more meaning
這一代從游戲中體會到得滋味
through video games than they will through the real world.
可能比現實生活中更多
Video games are nearing an evolutionary leap,
電子游戲正在進行飛速的發展
a point where game worlds will look and feel just as real
游戲中的世界已經變得跟電影,電視
as the films we see in theatres, or the news we watch on TV.
相差無幾
And while my sense of free will in these virtual worlds
我在虛擬世界里體驗到的自由還是有局限的
may still be limited, what I do learn applies to my real life.
可是我在游戲學到的東西卻可以拿到現實生活中來
Play enough video games and eventually you will
玩過足夠多游戲之后,你就會覺得
really believe you can snowboard, fly a plane,
你真的可以玩滑雪板,開飛機
drive a nine-second quarter mile, or kill a man.
9秒內潛到400米深的水下,或者殺一個人
I know I can.
我知道我可以
Unlike any pop culture phenomenon before it,
跟其他之前的流行文化不一樣
video games actually allow us to become part of the machine.
電子游戲讓我們變成了機器的一部分
They allow us to sublimate into the culture of interactive, downloaded, streaming, HD reality.
它們允許我們沉浸到電子游戲的文化中,這是一種互動的,可下載的,高清晰的現實文化
We are interacting with our entertainment.
我們可以跟它互動
I have come to expect this level of interaction.
這是我們預期的互動層次
Without it, the problems faced in the real world --
達不到這個層次,現實世界中的那些問題 ---
poverty, war, disease and genocide -- lack the levity they should.
貧窮,戰爭,疾病,種族滅絕在游戲里就失去了效果
Their importance blends into the sensationalized drama of prime time TV.
它們的重要性就跟黃金時段的電視劇融合為了一體
But the beauty of video games today lies not in the lifelike graphics,
然而,電子游戲的魅力不在它有真實的畫面
the vibrating joysticks or virtual surround sound.
或者是那振動手柄或者立體的聲音
It lies in that these games are beginning to make me emotional.
而在于,這些電子游戲已經開始加入情感元素
I have fought in wars, feared for my own survival,
我在游戲里打過仗,在孤軍奮戰的時候害怕過
watched my cohorts die on beaches and woods that look and feel more real than any textbook or any news story.
看著自己的部隊死在沙灘上和叢林里,那種感覺比任何的課本和新聞都真實
The people who create these games are smart.
制作游戲的那些人很聰明
They know what makes me scared, excited, panicked, proud or sad.
他們知道什么東西可以讓我害怕,興奮,慌張,驕傲或者悲傷
Then they use these emotions to dimensionalize the worlds they create.
他們用這些不同的情感元素來劃分整個游戲世界
A well-designed video game will seamlessly weave the user into the fabric of the virtual experience.
一個經過很好的設計的電子游戲會把玩家完美的拼接到游戲的虛擬體驗當中
As one becomes more experienced the awareness of physical control melts away.
隨著一個人玩游戲玩得越來越好,那種通過控制在玩游戲的感覺就會漸漸消失
I know what I want and I do it.
我知道我想做什么就去做
No buttons to push, no triggers to pull, just me and the game.
不會去想按什么按鈕或者扣什么扳機,我考慮的就只有我還有游戲
My fate and the fate of the world around me lie inside my hands.
我的命運還有我身處的世界的命運,都掌握在我的手中