I know violent video games make my mother worry.
我知道我媽很擔心那些帶有暴力情節的電子游戲
What troubles me is not that video game violence is becoming more and more like real life violence,
而讓我所擔心的,不是電子游戲中的暴力正在變得越來越像現實生活中的暴力
but that real life violence is starting to look more and more like a video game.
而是,現實生活中的暴力正在變得越來越像一部電子游戲
These are all troubles outside of myself.
這些都是跟我沒什么關系的問題
I, however, have a problem very close to home.
可是我,有一個跟我很有關的問題
Something has happened to my brain.
我的大腦發生了一些變化
Perhaps there is a single part of our brain that holds
也許我們大腦中的一個部分儲存著
all of our gut instincts, the things we know to do before we even think.
我們所有的直覺,那些我們不經過思考就會去做的事
While some of these instincts may be innate, most are learned,
有些直覺可能是天生的,可是大部分是經過后天學習得到的
and all of them are hardwired into our brains.
不管是如何得來的,所有這些直覺都被深深刻在了我們的腦子里
These instincts are essential for survival in both real and virtual worlds.
而這些直覺,恰恰是我們生存所需要的,不管是在現實生活還是虛擬世界中
Only in recent years has the technology behind video games allowed for a true overlap in stimuli.
其實只是最近幾年,游戲技術才真正實現了虛擬和現實的結合
As gamers we are now living by the same laws of physics
在今天的游戲中,我們受到與現實生活中同樣的物理法則約束
in the same cities and doing many of the same things
生活在同樣的城市里,做著許多我們曾經在現實生活中
we once did in real life, only virtually.
做過的事情,只不過這次是虛擬的
Consider this, my real life car has about 25,000 miles on it.
想象一下,我實際生活中的車的儀表板上寫了25000英里
In all my driving games, I've driven a total of 31,459 miles.
而把我玩過的所有駕駛類游戲加起來,我一共開了31459英里
To some degree I've learned how to drive from the game.
從某種層次上說,我是從游戲中學會了開車
The sensory cues are very similar.
那種感覺是非常相似的
It's a funny feeling when you have spent more time doing something on the TV than you have in real life.
仔細想想,同一件事,你在游戲里做過的比你在現實生活中做過還要多,其實挺有趣的
When I am driving down a road at sunset all I can think is,
當我在夕陽西下時開車在路上,我就會想
this is almost as beautiful as my games are.
這件事就像游戲里那么美
For my virtual worlds are perfect.
因為我的虛擬世界是完美的
More beautiful and rich than the real world around us.
比現實生活要美麗的多,豐富的多
I'm not sure what the implications of my experience are,
我不知道我在游戲中的體驗有什么暗含
but the potential for using realistic video game stimuli in repetition on a vast number of loyal participants is frightening to me.
但是電子游戲這種吸引人的潛力實在有點讓我驚慌失措
Today I believe Big Brother would find much more success
我相信如果老大哥如果利用電子游戲
brainwashing the masses with video games rather than just simply TVs.
而不是電視節目的話,他可以成功的給更多人洗腦
Video games are fun, engaging, and leave your brain completely vulnerable to re-programming.
電子游戲既有趣又吸引人,它使你的大腦變得對各種信息都不設防
But maybe brainwashing isn't always bad.
但是,洗腦并不都是壞事
Imagine a game that teaches us to respect each other,
想象一下,一個游戲可以教我們如何尊重彼此
or helps us to understand the problems we're all facing in the real world.
幫助我們理解我們在現實世界中遇到的問題
There is a potential to do good as well.
電子游戲可以作為一個很好的工具
It is critical, as these virtual worlds continue to mirror
隨著電子游戲中的虛擬世界一直不斷得反映
the real world we live in, that game developers realize
我們生活的現實世界,游戲開發者們開始意識到
that they have tremendous responsibilities before them.
他們肩上扛的重擔
I'm not sure what the future of video games holds for our civilization.
我不知道未來的電子游戲在人類文明中將起到什么作用
But as virtual and real world experiences increasingly overlap
但是隨著虛擬世界和現實世界有越來越多的交叉
there is a greater and greater potential for other people to feel the same way I do.
一定會有越來越多的人跟我有同樣的感受
What I have only recently come to realize
我最近才意識到
is that beyond the graphics, sound, game play and emotion
除了游戲畫面,聲音,游戲性和情感
it is the power to break down reality that is so fascinating and addictive to me.
游戲正在變成拆分我所喜愛和熱衷的現實世界的強大力量
I know that I am losing my grip.
我知道我正在失去控制
Part of me is just waiting to let go.
我心里有個聲音一直在讓我放手
I know though, that no matter how amazing video games may become,
然而我知道,不管游戲游戲將來會變得多完美
or how flat the real world may seem to us,
也不管現實生活是多么平淡
that we must stay aware of what our games are teaching us
我們必須注意這些游戲在試圖教給我們什么東西
and how they leave us feeling when we finally do unplug.
當我們最后結束游戲的時候,游戲給我們留下了什么樣的印記