It's evolved into something that is much subtler.
它已演變成某種更微妙的東西。
This is an actual text that was done by a non-male person of about 20 years old not too long ago.
這是一段真實的短信對話它是由一個20出頭的姑娘在前不久寫的。
I love the font you're using, btw.
第一句:順便說一句,我喜歡你用的字體。
Julie: lol thanks gmail is being slow right now.
朱莉: lol謝謝谷歌郵箱現在變得好慢。
Now if you think about it, that's not funny.
如果大家想想看,這可不好笑。
No one's laughing.
也沒有人在笑。
And yet, there it is, so you assume there's been some kind of hiccup.
但是,這個字(lol)卻在那里,你會認為這可能就是打錯了。
Then Susan says lol, I know,
然后蘇珊說lol,我知道,
again more guffawing than we're used to when you're talking about these inconveniences.
再一次,真讓人捧腹大笑。這可不是我們一般遇上這樣麻煩事的態度。
So Julie says, I just sent you an email.
朱莉接著說,我剛給你發了封郵件。
Susan: lol, I see it.
蘇珊:lol,我收到了。
Very funny people, if that's what LOL means.
非常有趣的兩個人,如果這是LOL的真實意思的話。
This Julie says, So what's up?
朱莉說,最近怎么樣?
Susan: lol, I have to write a 10 page paper.
蘇珊:lol,我得寫一篇10頁的作文。
She's not amused. Let's think about it.
這么看的話,她可不開心。
LOL is being used in a very particular way.
LOL是以一種特別的方式被使用的。
It's a marker of empathy. It's a marker of accommodation.
它代表著感同身受,代表著某種無奈妥協。
We linguists call things like that pragmatic particles.
我們語言學家稱之為口頭禪。
Any spoken language that's used by real people has them.
任何口語都有這些詞語。
If you happen to speak Japanese, think about that little word ne that you use at the end of a lot of sentences.
如果你會說日語的話,想想你在很多句子后面加上的那個ne字。
If you listen to the way black youth today speak,
如果你聽現在的年輕黑人說話,
think about the use of the word yo.
想想這個詞yo的使用。
Whole dissertations could be written about it,
這都夠寫學術論文的了,
and probably are being written about it.
說不定人們已經開始寫了。
A pragmatic particle, that's what LOL has gradually become.
LOL已經逐漸演變成了一個口頭禪。
It's a way of using the language between actual people.
這就是人們使用語言的一種方式。
Another example is slash.
另外一個例子是slash.
Now, we can use slash in the way that we're used to,
看看這個句子,我們要去一個派對,
along the lines of, We're going to have a party-slash-networking session.
同時(slash)來擴展一下人脈slash這里連接派對和擴展人脈兩個活動。
That's kind of like what we're at.
我們通常這么使用這個字。
Slash is used in a very different way in texting among young people today.
今天Slash這個字用在年輕人的短信里卻有非常不同的意思。