Now, I could make a game called Piecraft,
現在,我可以做一個游戲名為《餡餅爭霸》
where all you had to do was get a million pies or a thousand pies.
在里面你要做的所有事就是得到一百萬個餡餅或者一千個餡餅
That would be very boring.
那會變得很無趣
Fifteen is a pretty optimal number.
15是個最佳的數字
You find that -- you know, between five and 20 is about the right number for keeping people going.
你得到--你知道,在5和20之間這是維持人們進行的恰當的數字
But we don't just have pies in the boxes.
但我們在箱子里找到的不只是餡餅。
There's 100 percent up here.
這點我敢百分百肯定。
And what we do is make sure that every time a box is opened,
我們要做的就是保證每次一個箱子被打開
there's something in it, some little reward that keeps people progressing and engaged.
都有一些東西在里面,一些小獎勵它能促使人們前進并參與活動
In most adventure games,
在大多數冒險游戲中
it's a little bit in-game currency, a little bit experience.
會是一些游戲幣,一些經驗值
But we don't just do that either.
但我們也并不只做這些
We also say there's going to be loads of other items
我們還說將會加載其他物品
of varying qualities and levels of excitement.
它們具備各種屬性和等級
There's going to be a 10 percent chance you get a pretty good item.
你得到一個非常好的東西的幾率是百分之十
There's going to be a 0.1 percent chance you get an absolutely awesome item.
將會有千分之一的幾率你能得到一個絕對超棒的物品
And each of these rewards is carefully calibrated to the item.
每一個獎勵都被仔細和物品校準
And also, we say,
并且,我們假設
"Well, how many monsters? Should I have the entire world full of a billion monsters?"
“好的,需要多少怪物?我要用十億個怪物把整個世界裝滿嗎?”
No, we want one or two monsters on the screen at any one time.
不,我們每次在屏幕場景中放一或兩個怪物
So I'm drawn on. It's not too easy, not too difficult.
所以我描述了,這既不很簡單,也不很難
So all this is very powerful.
所以這一切都非常有力
But we're in virtuality. These aren't real boxes.
但我們在虛擬世界里,那些不是真的箱子
So we can do some rather amazing things.
所以我們可以做一些更加令人驚奇的事
We notice, looking at all these people opening boxes,
我們發現,看著所有這些人打開箱子
that when people get to about 13 out of 15 pies,
當人們得到大約13到15個餡餅的時候
their perception shifts, they start to get a bit bored, a bit testy.
他們的感覺變化了,他們開始覺得有點無趣,有點急躁
They're not rational about probability.
他們對待概率并不理性
They think this game is unfair.
他們覺得這個游戲不公平
It's not giving me my last two pies. I'm going to give up.
它仍沒有給我最后兩個餡餅,我要放棄了
If they're real boxes, there's not much we can do,
如果這些箱子都是真的的,我們就無能為力
but in a game we can just say, "Right, well.
但是在游戲中我們可以就這樣說,“是的,好吧”
When you get to 13 pies, you've got 75 percent chance of getting a pie now."
當你得到13個餡餅的時候,你得到餡餅的機率會成為75%
Keep you engaged. Look at what people do --
讓你繼續前進,觀察人們如何玩游戲— —
adjust the world to match their expectation.
調整世界以符合他們的期望
Our games don't always do this.
我們的游戲并不一直做這些事情
And one thing they certainly do at the moment is if you got a 0.1 percent awesome item,
但眼下有一件事情是他們必定做的就是,如果你得到了千分之一幾率的超棒物品
they make very sure another one doesn't appear for a certain length of time
它們絕對保證在一段時間里不會出現另一個
to keep the value, to keep it special.
以保持它的價值,保證它的獨特性
And the point is really that we evolved to be satisfied by the world in particular ways.
關鍵在于我們進化去適應世界的需要以一種特殊的方式
Over tens and hundreds of thousands of years,
歷經了幾千幾萬年
we evolved to find certain things stimulating,
我們進化去找一些刺激的事
and as very intelligent, civilized beings,
作為高等智能,社會化的人
we're enormously stimulated by problem solving and learning.
我們受到解決問題和學習過程極大地激發
But now, we can reverse engineer that and build worlds
但現在,我們可以逆反這一過程并建造世界
that expressly tick our evolutionary boxes.
明確地對我們的進化發展進行評估
So what does all this mean in practice?
所有這些對現實有什么意義?
Well, I've come up with seven things that, I think, show
好的,我將提出7件事,我覺得能體現
how you can take these lessons from games and use them outside of games.
從游戲中你怎樣學到這些經驗然后把它們運用到游戲之外