Now, they had half the civilization
古人通過所掌握的
go off in search of a new world,
二分之一的文明去尋找新世界
so that's where I get my 21 billion hours a week of game-play from.
而我們現在則有每周長達210億小時的玩游戲時間
Let's get half of us to agree
讓我們中一半的人
to spend an hour a day playing games,
每天玩游戲一小時
until we solve real-world problems.
直至我們可以去解決現實生活中的問題
Now, I know you're asking, "How are we going to solve real world problems
你可能會問,“我們在游戲中如何解決現實中的問題呢?”
in games?" Well, that's what I have devoted my work to
這也是我在過去的幾年中積極投身
over the past few years,
我從事的工作的原因
at The Institute For The Future.
我工作的地方叫“未來研究所”
We have this banner in our offices in Palo Alto,
這是我們在帕洛阿爾托辦公室里的廣告
and it expresses our view of how we should try to relate to the future.
它給出了我們關于如何看待未來的觀點
We do not want to try to predict the future.
我們不會試著去預言未來
What we want to do is make the future.
但,我們會創造未來
We want to imagine the best-case scenario outcome,
我們曾經設想過最好情況的結果
and then we want to empower people
然后,我們想通過努力
to make that outcome a reality.
讓人們將那個設想變成現實
We want to imagine epic wins,
我們渴望史詩般的勝利
and then give people the means to achieve the epic win.
同時也給予人們實現勝利的途徑
I'm just going to very briefly show you three games that I've made
我想給大家簡短的介紹三款我做的游戲
that are an attempt to give people the means
他們都是一些嘗試,
to create epic wins in their own futures.
嘗試著給未來的人們能創造屬于自己的史詩般的勝利,提供一些方法
So, this is World Without Oil.
這是《無油世界》
We made this game in 2007.
這款游戲制作于2007年
This is an online game in which you try to survive
這是一款網絡游戲,
an oil shortage.
它讓你在石油短缺的時候設法生存
The oil shortage is fictional,
石油短缺是虛構的
but we put enough online content out there
但是我們會投入很多的內容在里面
for you to believe that it's real, and to live your real life
你就會認為那是真的,并且這會影響你的現實生活
as if we've run out of oil. So when you come to the game,
讓你感覺我們已經沒有石油可用了。因此,當你打開游戲
you sign up, you tell us where you live,
注冊,并告訴我們你的居住地
and then we give you real-time news, videos,
我們就會給你實時的新聞視頻數據
data feeds that show you
精確地告訴你
exactly how much oil costs,
石油的成本
what's not available, how food supply is being affected,
什么是不可用,食物供應是如何受到影響的
how transportation is being affected,
運輸是如何受到影響的
if schools are closed, if there is rioting,
并且會告訴你學校是否被關閉,哪里里發生了騷亂
and you have to figure out how you would live your real life
如果這一切都是真的,你就會找出如何處理現實生活中的這些問題的方法
as if this were true. And then we ask you to blog about it,
我們會要求你將這些東西發布到博客上
to post videos, to post photos.
上傳視頻或者照片
We piloted this game with 1,700 players in 2007,
在2007年,有1700人參加了這款游戲的測試
and we've tracked them for the three years since.
我們跟蹤了這些測試者接下來三年的生活
And I can tell you that this is a transformative experience.
我可以告訴諸位的是這是一段極具改造作用的經歷
Nobody wants to change how they live
沒有人希望改變他們的生活方式
just because it's good for the world, or because we're supposed to.
或者是因為他們覺得對環境無損,或者是因為他們覺得這順理成章
But if you immerse them in an epic adventure
但是,如果你讓他們著沉浸于一個異乎尋常的經歷當中
and tell them, "We've run out of oil.
并且告訴他們,“我們已經耗盡我們的石油。”
This is an amazing story and adventure for you to go on.
這將是你聽說的一個美妙的故事和異乎尋常的經歷
Challenge yourself to see how you would survive,"
挑戰自己,看看你將如何生存
most of our players have kept up the habits
大部分的游戲玩家
that they learned in this game.
保留了他們在游戲中形成的習慣
So, for the next world-saving game,
在接下來的一款拯救世界的游戲里
we decided to aim higher: bigger problem than just peak oil.
我們的選擇的問題比石油短缺變得更難、更大