In that hut, we walked in,
我們走進那間小草屋
and her father and his four wives were sitting there,
她的父親和四個妻子坐在那里
and her sisters who had just returned because
她的姐妹們也回來了,
they had all fled when she had fled,
她們也跟她一同離家出走的
and her primary mother, who had been beaten
還有她的母親,
in standing up for her with the elders.
她曾因站在她的一邊而被打
When her father saw her and saw who she had become,
當她的父親看到她,看到她
in her full girl self,
變為一個成熟的少女時
he threw his arms around her and broke down crying.
他擁抱著Jaclyn,放聲大哭
He said, "You are beautiful. You have grown into a gorgeous woman.
他說,“你真美,你變成一個美麗的姑娘了,
We will not cut you.
我們不會給你行割禮了
And I give you my word, here and now,
我現在就承諾
that we will not cut your sisters either."
也不會對你的妹妹行割禮?!?/div>
And what she said to him was,
她對父親說,
"You were willing to sell me for four cows,
“那時候,為了四頭牛,一只小牛以及一些地毯
and a calf and some blankets.
你愿意把我賣出去
But I promise you, now that I will be educated
但是,我可以向你保證,現在的我接受了教育
I will always take care of you,
我會一直照顧你
and I will come back and I will build you a house.
我會回來,給你蓋房子
And I will be in your corner for the rest of your life."
直到你離開人世,我會一直陪伴你?!?/div>
For me, that is the power of girls.
我認為,這就是少女的力量
And that is the power of transformation.
也是轉變的力量
I want to close today
我想以我的書里頭的一段話
with a new piece from my book.
作為今天這個演講的總結
And I want to do it tonight
這個演講是獻給在座所有人的
for the girl in everybody here.
內心少女的
And I want to do it for Sunitha.
也希望將此獻給蘇妮塔
And I want to do it for the girls that Sunitha talked about yesterday,
獻給蘇妮塔昨天談論過的那些少女
the girls who survive, the girls who can become somebody else.
那些有幸存活下來的,有機會改變自我的少女
But I really want to do it for each and every person here,
也希望將此獻給這里的每一個人
to value the girl in us,
希望大家可以珍視我們的內心少女
to value the part that cries,
珍視淚珠
to value the part that's emotional,
珍視情感的力量
to value the part that's vulnerable,
珍視脆弱的部分
to understand that's where the future lies.
并且明白,那是我們的未來之所系
This is called "I'm An Emotional Creature."
這段話標題是“我是一個情感動物”
And it happened because I met a girl in Watts, L.A.
它源于我在洛杉磯遇到的一個女孩
I was asking girls if they like being a girl,
我那時候到處問女孩子,她們是否喜歡做女孩
and all the girls were like, "No, I hate it. I can't stand it.
所有的女孩都說,“不,我討厭這個,我不能接受這個,
It's all bad. My brothers get everything."
太糟糕了。我的哥哥總是得到所有的東西。“
And this girl just sat up and went, "I love being a girl.
而這個女孩則站起來說:“我喜歡做女孩,
I'm an emotional creature!"
因為我是一個情感動物!”
重點單詞 | 查看全部解釋 | |||
calf | [kɑ:f] |
想一想再看 n. 小牛,幼崽,愚蠢的年輕人,小牛皮,小腿肚 |
聯想記憶 | |
survive | [sə'vaiv] |
想一想再看 vt. 比 ... 活得長,幸免于難,艱難度過 |
聯想記憶 | |
transformation | [.trænsfə'meiʃən] |
想一想再看 n. 轉型,轉化,改造 |
聯想記憶 | |
emotional | [i'məuʃənl] |
想一想再看 adj. 感情的,情緒的 |
||
willing | ['wiliŋ] |
想一想再看 adj. 愿意的,心甘情愿的 |
||
vulnerable | ['vʌlnərəbl] |
想一想再看 adj. 易受傷害的,有弱點的 |
聯想記憶 | |
understand | [.ʌndə'stænd] |
想一想再看 vt. 理解,懂,聽說,獲悉,將 ... 理解為,認為< |
||
primary | ['praiməri] |
想一想再看 adj. 主要的,初期的,根本的,初等教育的 |
聯想記憶 |