'No, I won't!' Alice said crossly. 'I don't belong to this railway journey at all.
愛麗絲生氣地應聲道:“不,我不買!我根本不屬于這次列車。
I was in a wood just now, and I wish I could get back there.'
剛才我還在樹林里,我希望能回去。”
Then she heard the little voice again.
然后她又聽見那個細微的聲音。
She looked round, but could see nothing.
她看了看周圍,但什么也沒看到。
'I know you are a friend,' the voice said in her ear, 'a dear friend.
“我知道你是個朋友,” 聲音在她耳邊響起。“一個親愛的朋友。
And you won't hurt me, although I am an insect.'
盡管我是只昆蟲,你不會傷害我吧。”
'What kind of insect?' Alice asked, a little worried.
愛麗絲問:“哪一類昆蟲?”她有點兒焦急。
But just then there came a long scream from the engine, and everybody jumped up.
就在同時,火車頭長鳴一聲,每個人都嚇得跳了起來。
The Horse put his head out of the window, then pulled it back in and said calmly,
馬向窗外探出了頭,然后重又縮回來,平靜地說:
'It's only a brook that we have to jump across.'
“只是一條小河,我們得跳過去。”
Alice did not like the idea of trains jumping brooks.
愛麗絲不喜歡火車跳越小河這個想法。
'But we'll get into the Fourth Square, I suppose,' she said to her-self.
“不過我想我們即將進入第四格,”她自言自語道。
In another moment she felt the train go straight up into the air.
過了一會兒,她感覺火車徑向空中開去。
Frightened,she caught at the thing nearest to her hand, which happened to be the Goat's beard.
她驚恐萬狀,隨手抓住離她最近的一個東西,湊巧是山羊胡子。
But the beard seemed to disappear as she touched it, and she found herself sitting quietly under a tree.
但她一觸到山羊胡子,胡子似乎就失蹤了。她發現自己靜靜地坐在一棵樹下。
There was an Insect sitting near her, on a low branch of the tree.
一只昆蟲坐在她身旁的低矮的樹枝上。
It was a very large insect indeed-almost as big as a chicken. Alice thought.
愛麗絲想,這真是只碩大的昆蟲--幾乎同小雞一樣大。
'So you don't like all insects?' the Insect said, quietly continuing their conversation.
“這么說你不喜歡昆蟲?”那只昆蟲問,輕聲地繼續他們的對話。
'I like them when they can talk,' Alice said.
愛麗絲答道:“他們能說話,我就喜歡。
'None of them ever talk, where I come from. But everything here is so different.
我來的那地方,沒一只昆蟲講過話。但這里什么都不一樣。
I probably don't even know the names of the insects here.'
這里的昆蟲我可能連名字都叫不上來呢。”
'Can you remember your own name?' asked the Insect.
“你記得住自己的名字嗎?”昆蟲問。
'Of course,' said Alice. 'Nobody forgets their own name.'
“當然記得,沒人會忘記自己的名字。”愛麗絲答道。