is a consequence of ultraviolet light, of latitude and climate.
這只不過是紫外線 緯度和氣候造成的。
There really is no such thing as race.
實際上并沒有什么"種族"。
We're one species, each of us much much more alike than we are different.
我們都是一個物種 相似性要遠大于差異性。
We all came from Africa.
我們都來自非洲。
Thank you.
謝謝。
We're are all made of the same stardust.
我們都由相同的星塵組成。
We're all live and die on the same planet.
我們都在同一顆行星上生老病死。
this pale blue dot in the vastness of space.
地球也不過是無盡宇宙中的一個淡藍色小點。
Along with all the stuff about making new great discoveries and changing the world.
除了讓你們從事新的偉大發現和改變世界以外。
I'd like to give you some advice.
我還想給你們一些實際建議。
I mean, this is your commencement for crying out loud.
畢竟這是你們的畢業典禮。
just some plain old advice, like.
一些老掉牙的建議 例如。
if you smell fresh paint, don't walk under the latter.
聞到剛刷油漆的味道時 不要從梯子下走過。
Wear shoes in a thumbtack factory.
在圖釘工廠中走動時務必穿鞋。
And don't try to smoke in the rain.
不要試圖在雨中吸煙。
In fact, don't try to smoke at all.
實際上 任何時候都不要抽煙。
And let me say congratulations, UMass Lowell, it's always smoke free.
我要恭喜馬薩諸塞大學洛厄爾分校 這里從來就是無煙區。
Now so here's what I think is an unusual piece of advice.
下面這條建議我認為很不尋常。
But if you're going to get a bucket of water thrown in your face.
如果有一桶水被潑到了你臉上。
untuck your shirt.
將扎好的襯衣抽出來。
and you wouldn't think it would make that much difference.
也許你并不覺得這樣做有什么不同。
A cotton shirt like this one is hydrophilic.
像這樣的棉襯衣是吸水的。
Water is going to stick to it, true enough.
水會被它吸附 沒錯。
but a shirttail, even a water-loving shirttail.
但是襯衣下擺 哪怕是吸水的襯衣下擺。