The desire for a happy family comes, in part, from a difficult childhood.
對一個幸福家庭的渴望部分源于她不易的童年。
Like her orphaned hero, Harry Potter.
就像她的孤兒主人公 哈利·波特。
Joanne Rowling was brought up on a suburban British street.
喬安妮·羅琳在英國郊區的小街被撫養長大。
First in Yate, just outside Bristol and then a few miles down the road, in Winterbourne.
她先住在耶雅特,就在布里斯托爾港的旁邊,然后搬到了不遠的溫特博恩。
The house even had a cupboard under the stairs.
家里的樓梯下甚至還有一個碗柜。
But unlike Harry Potter, Jo wasn't made to sleep there.
但和哈利·波特不同,她沒有睡在那里。
She shares the same birthday as Harry Potter, the 31st of July.
她和哈利·波特同一天生日,7月31日。
And together with her sister, Di, endured similar childhood economies.
她和妹妹戴一起經歷了同樣貧窮的童年。
What were your haircuts like? Oh.
你小時候的發型如何? 噢。
That's...That's just not...That's just wrong. They were terrible.
那……那不是……那是錯誤的決定。 那樣子很可怕。
Honestly. This is child abuse. They were terrible.
實話說,這簡直是虐待兒童。那時太可怕了。
I've got it here.
我這里有照片。
That's not...That... Look at my fringe.
那不是……那時……看我的劉海吧。
I don't think anyone can stomach that for long.
我想沒人能忍受那么久。
If you're wondering, Jo is the one on the right.
如果你猜不出來,喬是右邊的那位。
If you weren't used to cutting hair... wouldn't you approach it in a gentle, slow manner?
要是你不習慣剪頭發,你不是也會用另一種緩和的方式達成嗎?
Wouldn't you go to a hairdresser? Well, maybe they couldn't...
難道你不去美發店嗎? 好吧,可能是他們不會剪……
Wouldn't you just cut it slowly and not attack it like a hatchet?
難道你就不能慢慢剪,別像斧子一樣亂來嗎?
I do think you've...Mine was always crooked, always.
我認為你是……我的劉??偸峭岬模恢倍际?。
Did you wear similar clothes? Oh, God, yes.
你們以前穿一樣的衣服嗎?噢,上帝,是的。
Different colors, but... Yeah, you always had pink. And I always had blue.
顏色不一樣,但…… 對,你總是穿粉紅的,而我總是穿藍的。
Because you were the boy, Jo? Yeah.
因為希望你是男孩,喬?是啊。
Because you were the eldest? Yeah, and I was supposed to be a boy.
因為你是老大? 是的,我本該是個男孩。
So... Simon John.
所以…… 西蒙·約翰。
I was supposed to be Simon John. I even know who I was supposed to be.
我本來該叫西蒙·約翰,我甚至知道我本該是誰。
Had they told you? Oh, yeah.
他們告訴你了? 是的。
She was a massive disappointment. Yeah.
她當時特別失望。 是啊。
And so then I said quite hopefully: "And when Di came along, were you disappointed too?"
然后我還抱著希望問:“小戴出生的時候,你們也失望了嗎?”
"No."
“沒有”
I said, "Was that because you found out it was quite nice to have a girl?"
我說:“那是因為你們發現生女孩也很好?”
"No."
“沒有”
So then I just went upstairs and wept.
然后我就上樓哭去了。