John had not much affection for his mother and sisters, and an antipathy to me.
約翰對母親和姐妹們沒有多少感情,而對我則很厭惡。
He bullied and punished me.
他欺侮我,虐待我。
Not two or three times in the week, nor once or twice in the day, but continually.
不是一周三兩次,也不是一天一兩回,而是經常如此。
Every nerve I had feared him, and every morsel of flesh in my bones shrank when he came near.
弄得我每根神經都怕他,他一走近,我身子骨上的每塊肌肉都會收縮起來。
There were moments when I was bewildered by the terror he inspired,
有時我會被他嚇得手足無措,
because I had no appeal whatever against either his menaces or his inflictions.
因為面對他的恐嚇和欺侮,我無處哭訴。
The servants did not like to offend their young master by taking my part against him, and Mrs. Reed was blind and deaf on the subject.
傭人們不愿站在我一邊去得罪他們的少爺,而里德太太則裝聾作啞,兒子打我罵我。
She never saw him strike or heard him abuse me, though he did both now and then in her very presence, more frequently, however, behind her back.
她熟視無睹,盡管他動不動當著她的面這樣做,而背著她的時候不用說就更多了。

Habitually obedient to John, I came up to his chair.
我對約翰已慣于逆來順受,因此便走到他椅子跟前。
He spent some three minutes in thrusting out his tongue at me as far as he could without damaging the roots.
他費了大約三分鐘,拼命向我伸出舌頭,就差沒有繃斷舌根。
I knew he would soon strike, and while dreading the blow, I mused on the disgusting and ugly appearance of him who would presently deal it.
我明白他會馬上下手,一面擔心挨打,一面凝視著這個就要動手的人那付令人厭惡的丑態。
I wonder if he read that notion in my face.
我不知道他看出了我的心思沒有。
For, all at once, without speaking, he struck suddenly and strongly.
反正他二話沒說,猛然間狠命揍我。
I tottered, and on regaining my equilibrium retired back a step or two from his chair.
我一個踉蹌,從他椅子前倒退了一兩步才站穩身子。
'That is for your impudence in answering mama awhile since,' said he.
“這是對你的教訓,誰叫你剛才那么無禮跟媽媽頂嘴,”他說。
'And for your sneaking way of getting behind curtains, and for the look you had in your eyes two minutes since, you rat!'
“誰叫你鬼鬼祟祟躲到窗簾后面,誰叫你兩分鐘之前眼光里露出那付鬼樣子,你這耗子!”
Accustomed to John Reed's abuse, I never had an idea of replying to it.
我已經習慣于約翰。里德的謾罵,從來不愿去理睬。
My care was how to endure the blow which would certainly follow the insult.
一心只想著加何去忍受辱罵以后必然接蹤而來的毆打。
'What were you doing behind the curtain?' he asked.
“你躲在窗簾后面干什么?”他問。
'I was reading.'
“在看書?!?/div>
'Show the book.'
“把書拿來?!?/div>
I returned to the window and fetched it thence.
我走回窗前把書取來。
'You have no business to take our books.
“你沒有資格動我們的書。
You are a dependant, mama says.
媽媽說的,你靠別人養活你。
You have no money.
你沒有錢。
Your father left you none.
你爸爸什么也沒留給你。
You ought to beg, and not to live here with gentlemen's children like us, and eat the same meals we do, and wear clothes at our mama's expense.
你應當去討飯,而不該同像我們這樣體面人家的孩子一起過日子,不該同我們吃一樣的飯,穿媽媽掏錢給買的衣服。
Now, I'll teach you to rummage my bookshelves
現在我要教訓你,讓你知道翻我們書架的好處。
For they are mine. All the house belongs to me, or will do in a few years.
這些書都是我的,連整座房子都是,要不過幾年就歸我了。
Go and stand by the door, out of the way of the mirror and the windows.'
滾,站到門邊去,離鏡子和窗子遠些。"
來源:可可英語 http://www.ccdyzl.cn/Article/201508/395420.shtml