So Professor Kemp,
Kemp教授
over the years that I've known you
我認識你這么多年來
you've told me some very interesting stories
你跟我說過一些很有趣的故事
about the people that you call "Leonardo Loonies"
說那些你稱之為"達芬奇瘋子"的人
who approach you with different sorts of theories
他們找上你,跟你說各種各樣的
about Leonardo works that they've found.
他們發現的關于達芬奇的理論
Was there anything different
這幅"美麗的公主"
that struck you about La Bella Principessa
有什么特別之處打動了你的
when you first came across the picture?
當你第一次看到這幅畫時?
I received an email,
我收到一封電郵
I don't know precisely what it says,
我不記得它具體說什么了
but it said I have what I think is a new portrait by Leonardo.
大意是說,我有一幅畫,我覺得是達芬奇的
And you think "Oh no not another one!"
你會想"天啊,又來一個了"
You get them on a weekly basis.
基本上每星期都會有這樣的郵件
But there was a reasonable resolution digital file
但郵件里有一個分辨率比較高的數碼圖像
which I opened up and I thought "Hmmm well this...."
我打開來看時,我想"不錯..."
You don't want to believe it in a way
你不能馬上就相信它是真的
because you can get carried away
因為這樣會誤導你
but I thought this at least would be worth following up.
但我覺得至少值得繼續研究一下
So when I had a chance to go and see it in Switzerland,
所以當我有機會去瑞士看它時
which is where it was in one of these notorious stores.
它就在瑞士某一間很出名的店里
I thought at least I would go and look at it which I duly did.
我覺得至少應該去看看,這是我職責所在
Interviewer: Yes with all the different visual technologies
現在我們利用各種各樣的成像技術
that we now have to view artwork,
讓我們看到藝術品
it's always really something to finally see the piece
但真正親眼看到自己研究的那個作品
that you've been working on in person.
那種感覺是很特別的
How was it seeing it for the first time?
你第一次看到它時有什么感覺?
Professor Kemp. It was extraordinary.
非常特別
We went into this large room and images were brought in
我們走進一個大房間,有幾個彪形大漢
by these sort of heavies that were responsible for guarding it
把畫拿出來,他們負責看守這幅畫
when it's taken out of the vault it's in.
在它被拿出保險庫的期間
And it's a radiant work,
那幅畫非常漂亮
digital images and reproduction give some clue
數碼圖像和臨摹圖像讓我們知道了這幅畫是怎么樣的
but I've seen Mona Lisa out of the frame
但我見過從畫框上拿出來的蒙娜麗莎
so I know what Leonardo when you have a close encounter.
所以當我有機會近距離看到時,我知道達芬奇的畫是怎樣的
And yeah that initial reaction you think
我的第一反應是
"Ahhhh this is just extraordinary."
"這太驚人了"
You keep trying to be sceptical though
但我要盡量保持懷疑態度
because you get carried away and
因為如果你的想法先入為主
you begin to see all the evidence through rose tinted spectacles.
那么你就會開始帶著有色眼鏡去看所有證據
But for me you have to have that at the start.
但對我來說,一開始必須有這種感覺
You've got all the science,all the research,all the history,
你可以用科學,調查,歷史研究來證明它
but you also had to have that feeling at the end as well.
但歸根到底,你必須還有那種感覺
And it started for me at that point,
對我來說,一切從那里開始
and that essential excitement is still there.
那種異常激動的心情現在還沒退卻