第一章
There was no possibility of taking a walk that day.
那天,出去散步是不可能了。
We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning.
其實,早上我們還在光禿禿的灌木林中溜達了一個小時。
But since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds so sombre,
但從午飯時起(無客造訪時,里德太太很早就用午飯)便刮起了冬日凜冽的寒風,
and a rain so penetrating, that further outdoor exercise was now out of the question.
隨后陰云密布,大雨滂沱,室外的活動也就只能作罷了。
I was glad of it.
我倒是求之不得。

I never liked long walks, especially on chilly afternoons:
我向來不喜歡遠距離散步,尤其在冷颼颼的下午。
dreadful to me was the coming home in the raw twilight, with nipped fingers and toes, and a heart saddened by the chidings of Bessie,the nurse,
試想,陰冷的薄暮時分回得家來,手腳都凍僵了,還要受到保姆貝茵的數落,
and humbled by the consciousness of my physical inferiority to Eliza, John, and Georgiana Reed.
又自覺體格不如伊麗莎、約翰和喬治亞娜,心里既難過又慚愧,那情形委實可怕。
The said Eliza, John, and Georgiana were now clustered round their mama in the drawing-room.
此時此刻,剛才提到的伊麗莎、約翰和喬治亞娜都在客廳里,簇擁著他們的媽媽。
She lay reclined on a sofa by the fireside, and with her darlings about her (for the time neither quarreling nor crying) looked perfectly happy.
她則斜倚在爐邊的沙發上,身旁坐著自己的小寶貝們(眼下既未爭吵也未哭叫),一副安享天倫之樂的神態。
Me, she had dispensed from joining the group; saying, 'She regretted to be under the necessity of keeping me at a distance.
而我呢,她恩準我不必同他們坐在一起了,說是她很遺憾,不得不讓我獨個兒在一旁呆著。
But that until she heard from Bessie, and could discover by her own observation,
要是沒有親耳從貝茜那兒聽到,并且親眼看到,
that I was endeavoring in good earnest to acquire a more sociable and childlike disposition,
我確實在盡力養成一種比較單純隨和的習性,活潑可愛的舉止,
a more attractive and sprightly manner- something lighter, franker, more natural.
也就是更開朗、更率直、更自然些。
As it were, she really must exclude me from privileges intended only for contented, happy, little children.
那她當真不讓我享受那些只配給予快樂知足的孩子們的特權了。
What does Bessie say I have done?' I asked.
“貝茵說我干了什么啦?”我問。
Jane, I don't like cavilers or questioners; besides, there is something truly forbidding in a child taking up her elders in that manner.
簡,我不喜歡吹毛求疵或者刨根究底的人,更何況小孩子家這么跟大人頂嘴實在讓人討厭。
Be seated somewhere; and until you can speak pleasantly, remain silent.
找個地方去坐著,不會和氣說話就別張嘴。
A small breakfast-room adjoined the drawing-room, I slipped in there. It contained a bookcase.
客廳的隔壁是一間小小的餐室,我溜了進去。里面有一個書架。
I soon possessed myself of a volume, taking care that it should be one stored with pictures.
不一會兒,我從上面拿下一本書來,特意挑插圖多的。
I mounted into the window-seat. gathering up my feet, I sat cross-legged, like a Turk.
爬上窗臺,縮起雙腳,像土耳其人那樣盤腿坐下。
And, having drawn the red moreen curtain nearly close, I was shrined in double retirement.
將紅色的波紋窗簾幾乎完全拉攏,把自己加倍隱蔽了起來。
Folds of scarlet drapery shut in my view to the right hand.
在我右側,緋紅色窗幔的皺褶檔住了我的視線。
To the left were the clear panes of glass, protecting, but not separating me from the drear November day.
左側,明亮的玻璃窗庇護著我,使我既免受十一月陰沉天氣的侵害,又不與外面的世界隔絕。