I was born in Switzerland and raised in Ghana, West Africa.
我出生在瑞士,在西非的加納長大。
Ghana felt safe to me as a child.
加納對兒時的我是安全的家。
I was free, I was happy.
我很自由快樂。
The early 70s marked a time of musical and artistic excellence in Ghana.
70年代早期是加納的音樂和藝術的輝煌時期。
But then by the end of the decade,the country had fallen back into political instability and mismanagement.
但是70年代末,加納陷入政治動蕩和政策混亂。
In 1979,I witnessed my first military coup.
1979年我目睹了軍事政變。
We the children had gathered at a friend's house.
我們一群孩子聚集在一個朋友家里。
It was a dimly lit shack.
是個破爛昏暗的棚子。
There was a beaten up black and white television flickering in the background,and a former head of state and general was being blindfolded and tied to the pole.
有臺破舊的黑白電視機在背景處一直閃動著,放的是前總統和將軍被蒙住眼睛綁在柱子上,
The firing squad aimed, fired the general was dead.
行刑的隊伍來了,槍決了他們,將軍死了。
Now this was being broadcast live.
這個場景在電視上直播。
And shortly after, we left the country,and we returned to Switzerland.
不久后,我們離開了加納,回到了瑞士。
Now Europe came as a shock to me,and I think I started feeling the need to shed my skin in order to fit in.
然后歐洲對我來說是個沖擊,我開始覺得有必要掩蓋自己的膚色以融入這個社會。
I wanted to blend in like a chameleon.
我想如變色龍一樣。
I think it was a tactic of survival.
我覺得這是生存的技巧。
And it worked, or so I believed.
這個方法成功了,至少我覺得是這樣的。
So here I was in 2008 wondering where I was in my life.
2008年的時候我開始思考我的人生定位。
And I felt I was being typecast as an actor.
我覺得我被定型為一個演員。
I was always playing the exotic African.
總是演異國風情的非洲人。
I was playing the violent African,the African terrorist.
或是暴力的非洲人,非洲恐怖分子。
And I was thinking,how many terrorists could I possibly play before turning into one myself?
我琢磨,在做回我自己之前我得演多少恐怖分子?
And I had become ashamed of the other,the African in me.
我開始以我的一部分,以我的非洲血統為恥。